Please help!

Jun 20, 2018
My one year old Wyandotte Bantam, Dutchess, is showing signs of respitory distress this morning. In the past I have had her quarantined treating an impacted crop, which the vet told me she would eventually die from if it wasn't surgically removed. She recovered but it then turned into pendulum crop due to the stretching. After she was able to break it down and gained some weight back and began laying again I released her back into my flock. Daily I have been massaging her crop helping to drain it and break down any food/blockages she may have gotten during the day. She has been doing very well with the exception of her new mean attitude. She seems to be quite the brute lately and I have had to break up numerous battles between her and the other girls.

However, in the last two weeks, while observing the girls closely every day my gut has told me that Dutchess is not feeling well. I was unable to pinpoint exactly why since she has been free ranging with the flock, eating and drinking well, and having normal stools. This morning upon opening the coop to let them out, she was the last one off the roost and at the door...which is HIGHLY unusual. She stood in the door and just looked outside acting "dizzy" while standing. When she was picked up she was visibly shaking. There was no attempt to get free she just layed her head on my chest. Her mouth is open as though she is having a hard time breathing. I quarantined her immediately. She isn't moving much but is laying still, panting, and she is drinking when the water is put next to her.

I have read about antibiotics but I have never used them. I am going to administer probiotics and electrolytes but am not sure what else to do other than take her to the vet. These girls are my babies and I am very worried!! Anyone have any suggestions I would really appreciate it!

For respiratory problems I have injected Tylan into the breast being careful not to hit the keel bone.

Last edited:
When was the last time she laid an egg?
Feel of her abdomen for any bloat, swelling or feeling of fluid that would indicated internal laying or reproductive problems.

Do what you can to get her hydrated. Hopefully with more information we will be able to give you better suggestions.
Oxley enough...this morning after being quarantined.

Back
Top Bottom