Please help!

Yeah for a pip! :clap
Keep the humidity up now, anywhere from 65-75% is fine, just NO condensation or dripping.

Now mark the time down. Ducks take for-e-ver! Could be any time between now and 40+ more hours before it fully hatches! It will likely pip again (maybe even 2-3 times) but should then start zipping.

Yeah for a pip! :clap
Keep the humidity up now, anywhere from 65-75% is fine, just NO condensation or dripping.

Now mark the time down. Ducks take for-e-ver! Could be any time between now and 40+ more hours before it fully hatches! It will likely pip again (maybe even 2-3 times) but should then start zipping.
Okay, so I jumped the gun. It pipped internally, not externally yet. He is ready to come out judging by the way the egg is rocking! I guess now I wait some more!

Update on the other 4... I have 2 of the 4 with larger air cells today. All eggs still have live ducklings! Veins look good in all eggs. I do see something in 1 of them that is different from the rest. There is a portion of the air cell that looks yellow. Im going to attach a photo. Any input is most welcome!

Attachments

• 15442978928729068563310730971482.jpg
    15442978928729068563310730971482.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 11
Okay, so I jumped the gun. It pipped internally, not externally yet. He is ready to come out judging by the way the egg is rocking! I guess now I wait some more!

Update on the other 4... I have 2 of the 4 with larger air cells today. All eggs still have live ducklings! Veins look good in all eggs. I do see something in 1 of them that is different from the rest. There is a portion of the air cell that looks yellow. Im going to attach a photo. Any input is most welcome!

Sometimes, especially when they haven’t lost enough moisture and air cells are small, we see a lot of “clear” area, not filled by duckling. This “goo” can cause a really sloppy hatch, and can impede breathing, depending on where everything is positioned. So keep a good eye on that one especially. Not much else you can do about it at this point, but it may need more help when hatch time comes.
The yellow could be a number if things, most likely just the glow from the light thru the fluid, reflecting from the unabsorved yolk and just lack of blood vessels in that area.

So when they do start to hatch, would it be a good idea to make a "safety hole" in the large end when there is an internal pip? Also, today is day 30 for 2 eggs, and day 27 for 3 of them. I would just continue to keep them in the incubator as long as there is movement inside regardless of how long it takes, right? Im sorry to ask so many questions, but like I said before, Ive never done this before. Im thetype of person that has the philosophy that if an animal can be helped, you should help it until all hope is gone! Lol

So when they do start to hatch, would it be a good idea to make a "safety hole" in the large end when there is an internal pip? Also, today is day 30 for 2 eggs, and day 27 for 3 of them. I would just continue to keep them in the incubator as long as there is movement inside regardless of how long it takes, right? Im sorry to ask so many questions, but like I said before, Ive never done this before. Im thetype of person that has the philosophy that if an animal can be helped, you should help it until all hope is gone! Lol

I’d just wait them out. I’m a hands-on hatcher too, rather get them hatched first, whatever it takes.

Just be aware that delayed hatches can end up with developmental problems, so still consider what could happen if you would need to euthanize one, or extended care, etc. Not trying to scare you, but it’s a part of hatching. Everything doesn’t always go as planned.

As far as safety holes, the only reason for doing a safety hole is after one has internally pipped, if it hasn’t broken the shell after about 24 hours, it could run out of air. A safety hole allows air in so it can allow a little more time to finish. With smaller air cells, you may consider it at around 20-22 hours instead. Small pin holes. Practice on some eggs from your fridge if you’ve never done one. :)

Have you held this internally pipped egg up to your ear yet to see if he is actively working on an external pip?
You would hear a slight tapping on the egg.

I did good with the hole. Baby is still alive and chirping. I woke it up when i started making the hole. The other eggs are moving. They are all upright bc of the small air cells. A couple of them had the cells grow some since yesterday. Im keeping my fingers crossed.
Also, i was wrong about what day the egg is on that i just made a hole in. Today is day 30 for that one. Three of my others are on day 27, and then i have one more on day 30. That air cell is still too small.

Back
Top Bottom