Please help

Megs7714

In the Brooder
May 2, 2019
Please help. I have no idea what's going on with my hen. I've treated for lice and mites, did corrid, and also acv for vent gleet. Why is she losing her feathers? They are all gone on the back and on her bottom. Please help!
Attach0.jpg

She's about 3 yrs old, and I put the saddle on her back about a month ago. There's still no new feather growth, but her bottom has progressively gotten worse.

Does she have any feather loss anywhere else? Ahe may be getting her feathers pulled out by others or herself. Is her lower belly enlarged, or does it just look prominent because of the feather loss? Sometimes you can use Nustock Cream on the skin to help prevent the pecking. It tastes bad to the other chickens, and it has antifungal, antibacterial properties and will help if there are any lice there. Pine Tar will help as well. Both may be found in the horse aisle in feed stores.

A molt usually happens around 18 months old and once a year thereafter. Feather picking sometimes may happen when they are fed to little protein in the diet, when they are overcrowded, boredom if they don’t get outside to roam, and other reasons. Some may do it on the roosts in the evening.

Back
Top Bottom