Please help!

Britt712

Chirping
Jun 15, 2020
Tennessee
Hello! New here. I've been doing plenty of research prior to incubating eggs. I have built a temporary incubator until I make a better one. It's rather small as I'm starting small just to see how it goes. It's a 1.3 gallon bucket with a 29 watt bulb overhead along with a fan, 2 thermometers/hydrometers, 1 liquid thermometer, and a bowl of water for humidity. I do not have a thermostat as I am unable to get one right now. I chose to use a bucket instead of a styrofoam incubator because I've had bad luck with those in the past so I decided to try something different.

So far I am on day 5 and I've been incubating 11 quail eggs I got from my neighbor who raises quail. Some are coturnix and some are bobwhites.

Anyways, I usually keep a close eye on the incubator and I also manually turn the eggs and I turned them at 10:30pm then waited for the temp to settle before I left the house. At about 11pm the temp stayed at 99.5°F. I came back to check on them at about 1:20am and the temp read 105 degrees!! I had to turn them anyways so I opened up the bator and quickly slipped a light behind them as I was turning them all and they were still developing. All hearts were pumping (I was lucky enough to find that 10 out of 11 seemed to be fertile but all 11 will remain in the bator till it's confirmed). I popped open the door and let fresh air in to bring down the temp. Will they be okay?? I'm so worried that they will stop developing or hatch out with deformities:hit

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys for taking the time to read my novel!!

They should be ok but don’t worry to much. You will just have to wait and see

Thank you so much for your reply. I wonder if anyone else who chimes in experienced a similar situation. I looked around on here and found a couple threads about their temps reaching 104 and up but they were left for different amounts of time. I know it can kill or cause damage if left there for too long but I don't know how long it actually takes to become fatal or life-altering. I heard as long as 15-30 minutes but I don't know how true that is. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom