Please help

Fizabee

Chirping
Oct 21, 2020
So I missed ONE health check and this happened.
Lately in the suburban flock, we've been having hawk problems. We've also lost one or two to a raccoon. And one of my chickens is a bit mean. But I didn't think anything would happen to my second in the pecking order, Teddy, in broad daylight! I was giving one nightly headcount, and when looking at my four heads, I noticed one was particularly...sticky. and red. I looked closer, and Teddy's head had a chunk of comb missing! I don't know how, or when she got this injury but it looks new enough, blood is all shiny.
Please, please, tell me how to help her. I don't know if she's in any pain, I don't think I need to cull her, she's been making the normal amount of noises and no distress calls or dead silence or anything. I know the other chickens mick pick the wound in the morning. It's also cold- what if she gets frostbite? How do I prevent this from happening again? Is there anything I can use to make her feel better? I really don't want it to get infected. She's always been my favorite one and the friendliest.
Please, please tell me how to help my poor baby. I love her so much and I don't want her to be in any pain.
Thank you in advance, Bee

You will want to separate her from the flock or they will peck it. They will peck and peck even killing her. You can put wound spray on it. I use this one, https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rooster-booster-poultry-wound-spray-16-oz
But there are others. Some have antimicrobial properties as well. Keep it clean and check often for any signs of infection. A photo would help us know more of the damage thus be able to give better advice. Im sorry your baby is hurt. :hugs

Of course you don’t need to cull her! Someone’s bit off a bit of her comb. Clean it like you would a skinned knee and put some antibiotic ointment on it. Combs have a rich blood supply and injuries often look worse than they are.

Can you separate her for the night and then keep an eye on her tomorrow? This may stress her but the other birds may pick at it.

Good you do your nightly head check :thumbsup

Ok, ive given her some scrambled egg and she has plentiful water, when I was checking she had a bit of blood on her toenails. Think that means she's been picking at it? Separated her off from the other hens and tomorrow we'll put up the dog crate because the other chickens seemed interested in her wound. She's making normal chicken noises, she knows she's getting special treatment and she's milking it.

Ok, ive given her some scrambled egg and she has plentiful water, when I was checking she had a bit of blood on her toenails. Think that means she's been picking at it? Separated her off from the other hens and tomorrow we'll put up the dog crate because the other chickens seemed interested in her wound. She's making normal chicken noises, she knows she's getting special treatment and she's milking it.
Oh they milk it as long as they can. Lol

Back
Top Bottom