Please help!!!

Unfortunately shipping is very hard on the grown birds. They may have had an underlying condition that the trip made surface. How long ago did they arrive?
The bird looks chilled. Do you have a way to give them a warmer spot?

I have not had to tube feed but others have. I will call a couple people to help.

@casportpony @azygous can you lend a hand please?
Thank you very much.
It took a total of 2-3 days for them to arrive here.
One of the females is perfectly alright.

yes I have them in a warm room.

please tell me what to do.
I am seriously freaking out right now.

OK. I feel tubing feeding will be dangerous, and not worth the risk. Try putting them in the open air. Will they drink at all? Dip their beaks in the water.

Thank you very much.
It took a total of 2-3 days for them to arrive here.
One of the females is perfectly alright.

yes I have them in a warm room.

please tell me what to do.
I am seriously freaking out right now.

So they very recently arrived?
I see the 2-3 days in shipping but how many days have they been at your place?

If they just barely arrived they could be very stressed still.

Yes it’s been just 15-18 hours that they came to me

I would think they are still very stressed from the trip.

Sugar water or honey water would be a good idea. Just a drop at a time along the edge of the beak will trigger them to open and then swallow as it runs inside.
It is a bit early for tube feeding I think.

Did the person you bought them from put food in with them for the trip so they could eat while traveling?

I would also try putting some food mash on the edge of their beak and seeing what they do before I would tube feed, though I agree with sugar water to start.

I wouldn't just give sugar water (personally). I'd give them an electrolyte mix:
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 teaspoons molasses OR 2 teaspoons granulated sugar OR 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride* (optional) (found in no-salt alternatives in grocery stores)
I hope your birds perk up soon!! I'm sorry you and your birds are dealing with this. I know it is very stressful.

Edit: I also agree with trying a food mash, or even some cooked scrambled egg to see if you can encourage an appetite.

If worst comes to worse, and they aren't drinking, using an eye dropper to squirt some fluids into their mouths may help. It's very easy to do, but easier with a second person. I always wrap the birds in a towel so they won't flap. I use this method often when giving orally injected medications.

Back
Top Bottom