Please help

Adrienne-m

Chirping
May 4, 2020
So I’ve isolated my bulky chicken (see still pecking post). Apparently the other girls have decided picking the roosters feathers is fun and now he has no wing feathers left. I’ve tried sprays, vicks, toys, treats, etc. it seems to be worse at night. Any suggestions how to keep him safe until I find him a new home? I’m trying to find him a home with small chickens that might not pick on him. Or anyone near Kansas City Missouri want him? I love him so but I don’t know how to keep him safe anymore

A wire dog crate inside the coop with his own food and water would a good way to separate him. Can he free range with the hens during the day without getting feather picked? Are they all going outside to roam daily? Make sure the hens are getting enough protein in their diets, at least 16-20%. If you could post some pictures of the coop and run, we might have more suggestions.

So I’ve isolated my bulky chicken (see still pecking post). Apparently the other girls have decided picking the roosters feathers is fun and now he has no wing feathers left. I’ve tried sprays, vicks, toys, treats, etc. it seems to be worse at night. Any suggestions how to keep him safe until I find him a new home? I’m trying to find him a home with small chickens that might not pick on him. Or anyone near Kansas City Missouri want him? I love him so but I don’t know how to keep him safe anymore
worse at night.. do they have ample roosting space?

Yes they have 12 feet or so of roost. 10 of them (including the rooster) sleep on top squished together and 3 on a big wide open roost. I thought about putting him in a dog kennel in the coop at night so he’s not right next to them

Yes they have 12 feet or so of roost. 10 of them (including the rooster) sleep on top squished together and 3 on a big wide open roost. I thought about putting him in a dog kennel in the coop at night so he’s not right next to them
is the wide open roost at the same height as the squished one?

Back
Top Bottom