Please help!

NewbieLearning

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2023
I've researched and researched. At this point, It leads me to everything and everywhere..

First I noticed that she was limping. Her left leg seemed to be injured, So I thought. I checked for any open sore or bumble foot and I don’t see any sign.

So I brought her inside to isolate her and not make the situation worse by letting her rest. And now both of her legs are in the same condition. She is currently using her hocks to move around and wings to balance herself.

Other symptoms and what I’ve noticed:

Stool: black tarry
Abdomen: seems to squishy and filled with liquid.
Eats and drinks fine when fed.
Leg curls when I touch so it’s not completely paralyzed
Lay eggs normally since I noticed the issue.

How did it goes from looking like a injured or sprained leg to both legs not fuctioning and can’t even stand up now let alone limping around with one leg.

Please help. I don’t know what else to do :(

I've researched and researched. At this point, It leads me to everything and everywhere..
only believe half of what you see and hear on the internet.....can be extremely negative and misleading.
First I noticed that she was limping. Her left leg seemed to be injured, So I thought. I checked for any open sore or bumble foot and I don’t see any sign.
Posting a video would help.....
So I brought her inside to isolate her and not make the situation worse by letting her rest. And now both of her legs are in the same condition. She is currently using her hocks to move around and wings to balance herself.
How old is she? What is her diet?
Other symptoms and what I’ve noticed:

Stool: black tarry
Abdomen: seems to squishy and filled with liquid.
Eats and drinks fine when fed.
Leg curls when I touch so it’s not completely paralyzed
Lay eggs normally since I noticed the issue.
Does she have flock mates and how are they acting?
How did it goes from looking like a injured or sprained leg to both legs not fuctioning and can’t even stand up now let alone limping around with one leg.
Any chance of a predator attack?

Sorry your hen's sick. I don't have a lot of experience but I would give some vitamin e and b complex while you are waiting. Helps with neurological and leg problems in chicks. May help and unlikely to cause any harm.

only believe half of what you see and hear on the internet.....can be extremely negative and misleading.

Posting a video would help.....

How old is she? What is her diet?

Does she have flock mates and how are they acting?

Any chance of a predator attack?
She’s 6m old. She has her normal organic laying pallets. Been on it since the beginning. Hasn’t changed her diet. She free range most of the days along with 9 others that are doing just fine.

Shea basically just sitting down and won’t get up and move around a little but on her hocks. She’s eating and drinking just fine.

Do you have older chickens as well? If so, have you had an issues with them in the past years - similar symptoms or any unexplained deaths?

Back
Top Bottom