please help!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickluver:D, Jan 24, 2010.

1. chickluver:D

chickluver:D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    maryland
    someone please can i have some advice? ATTENTION, i had 2 hens but we wanted more, so we got 6 more and fertile eggs to incubate. But the hens arnt getting along, they all go forraging in the day but they dont let my one rhode island red near, they let the other one i had,(ee) but my rir is left alone. all by herself. i got them 8 days ago and thought they would have astablished a pecking order. wat do i do?[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    They will be welcomed with time.

3. chickluver:D

chickluver:D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    maryland
    [​IMG] sip. sip.. sip... sip.... sip.....yawn been here all day [​IMG] i goinng crrasy
    thanks for the chick info

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can't make them get along. As long as there aren't terrible injuries, they'll work it out eventually. Just make sure that no one is being kept away from the food and water all the time. You may want to make your title a bit more descriptive, though. Many folks tend to not read the ones that just say "help". Maybe say "Help with Integrating New Hens".

If you get more birds in the future, please quarantine them for 30 days to protect your current flock. Birds can be carriers of disease even when they appear healthy.

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Speckled hen nailed it good. As long as it is not a case of the RIR getting bloodied from the pecking, then it will work out. Another tactic is to quarantine her within the same run that they all share and after a few days, let one in with her. She will likely be the boss chicken in there and you can rotate all of them in with her one day at a time. I read on this forum about that working, in one post.

6. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    what speckled hen said. If you have one who's more of a bully than the others, it can help to put that one in a separate cage / dog crate for a few days, 'chicken jail', it reduces their rank in the pecking order, but it sounds like you have 6 bullies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by