Please help :(

Wry Neck! Ok so I had a baby come down with this. I gave .5 of pred (which will make your girl very hungry), Vit. E, Vit. B 12 (at coop), and baytril (from vet). My little one recovered in 3 days the baytril made a huge difference. I also fixed up a dish of food very wet and set it at head level since they will not be able to lean their head back to drink. Hand feed if necessary, by using a syringe and go way back in the throat making sure the tounge is kept down. Keep alone in a quite place. Startling will cause an episode. Not sure how long you little guy has had it but getting him through this will take dedication but can be done

Email me if you need anything else.
Tisha
Good luck

I'm glad you were able to match the symptoms with a treatment plan. It feels so much better when your able to do something. It drives me nuts when I have to fall back on basic care and support while waiting for that magical new symptom that will pin point what is going on.

Please keep us updated on how your girl is doing and what treatment(s) you are using. The threads that are updated with treatments and results can be literal lifesavers for both those new and old to keeping chickens.

Hoping for a speedy recovery!

Hey hun, here is my new thread because I'm really stuck. Thank you for your message.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=452055

I have done so much reading my eyes hurt. I have spent money and so far it seems it was pointless. It is now day 2 of it having this wry neck and I feel she is going to die because she is not getting what she needs. I caught it early, but she isn't getting what she needs and the more I wait, the more it's going to get worse.

I live in New Albany, IN which is 5 minutes from Louisville, Ky. If you're local or even 40 minutes out I would be more than happy to bring this bird to you. I just want her to live. I'm going out of town tomorrow to Florida and I just can't go through losing her. Local vets are $100 and some were so rude they kept saying so what. Seriously? So Prednisone is out of the question. I heard people use Baytril from the vet well, all vets are out of the question. So, I've read Vitamin E, Vitamin E with Selenium, I've read B12, B complex, I've also read rooster booster (I can't get this any where, nobody has it). I read Polyvisol.

This is what I bought so far. I have Vitamin E 200IU softgel. I have Vitamin E 400IU with Selenium 100mcg softgel, B12 2000mcg tablets and Vital electrolytes.

None of this stuff will go in syringes, so I tried putting 1 vitamin E with selenium and crushed 1 b12 yesterday over scrambled eggs and spinach, but she ate some. Who knows how much vitamins she got. She wiggles and its hard to put anything in her beak. I don't understand browneggblueegg.com dosages. Since I don't have access to Prednisone or Baytril, should I go buy Polyvisol? If I go buy this how much do I give her a day for how long? Should I go buy B complex? What do I exactly need and how much because I'm at the point of hopeless.

Okay from all I read about wry neck it doesn't disappear over night, who is going to be taking care of your chickens while you are gone? please PM Bat Cave Silkies, she is by far an expert on Silkies and could probably help 100% more than the rest of us. Just tell her whats going on.
also go down aways on the forum page till you see Chicken breeds, click on there and look for silkie thread on page 2. if you'll post there you'll get replys from Silkie owners and breeders.
then scroll on down to the social there you will see "where am I where are you" look up your state and put out a plea there, hopefully someone will answer and take this little one. Good luck! and please keep us updated.

Last edited:
Quote:
I had had a similar thought. It's not a chicken's natural instinct to be indoors 24/7 nor to be caged. Even though she is 2 and has probably lived this way her whole life, perhaps a life lived in an unnatural environment has taken its toll and her current condition is merely a response to being forced to live indoors, against everything that exists in her genetic programming.

I'm sure you keep her indoors to keep her safe and happy, but what WE think of as "happy" is not necessarily the chicken's idea of "happy". No doubt your intentions are very good, and there's no doubt your chickens are important to you. I agree in that I would MUCH rather put diapers on my girls and keep them in my house, but at the end of the day, that goes against their genetic programming and is not what is best for THEM. They're chickens, and I want them to be happy, healthy chickens. Chickens are livestock and are not meant to live indoors in cages, not even bantam silkies. Perhaps let her out sometimes to play. Living in a cage cannot be fun for a chicken, and she could be developing health problems from being forced to live indoors against what Mother Nature is telling her inside.

In any case, I hope that whatever it is she has isn't too serious and that she AND you will be okay.
smile.png

Quote:
I had had a similar thought. It's not a chicken's natural instinct to be indoors 24/7 nor to be caged. Even though she is 2 and has probably lived this way her whole life, perhaps a life lived in an unnatural environment has taken its toll and her current condition is merely a response to being forced to live indoors, against everything that exists in her genetic programming.

I'm sure you keep her indoors to keep her safe and happy, but what WE think of as "happy" is not necessarily the chicken's idea of "happy". No doubt your intentions are very good, and there's no doubt your chickens are important to you. I agree in that I would MUCH rather put diapers on my girls and keep them in my house, but at the end of the day, that goes against their genetic programming and is not what is best for THEM. They're chickens, and I want them to be happy, healthy chickens. Chickens are livestock and are not meant to live indoors in cages, not even bantam silkies. Perhaps let her out sometimes to play. Living in a cage cannot be fun for a chicken, and she could be developing health problems from being forced to live indoors against what Mother Nature is telling her inside.

In any case, I hope that whatever it is she has isn't too serious and that she AND you will be okay.
smile.png

My chickens are very healthy and I've owned both since 4 weeks of age. They have always had Purina feed and Flock block from the start. If you read wry neck could be from genetics, pecking on the head from others or lack of B deficiency. After reading Purina labels there is really no B in there. A lot of A & E vitamins, in my Flock Block has Vitamin K. They have their own cages which are very large and free to range, so the pecking on the head is not the case. If it was genetics this would have happened months ago. So in my opinion its lack of vitamin B which is also the #1 treatment for crookneck. All the cases I read with wry neck they were out doors, so your opinion of how my Silkie got this is false. My chickens do go outside, but not in 20 degree weather, not when its raining, not when it's snowing. They're free from mites, ticks and fleas. When I first got my white silkie she had red northern mites. After a good dust bath, never had a problem again. She came from a nice breeder who had a barn outside, but she still got it. Since my kids don't go outside all the time, I give them good source of calcium eggs and oyster shells, and they have grit in there Purina crumbles daily. They walk around my house and are a hoot to play with, and sleep on my chest while I watch tv. They're very well taken care of and are not stressed out. They sleep comfy on their pine bedding or roost up in their beds.

She still eats and stands on her own. She is still on the electrolytes which has the b-12 in it since yesterday. I opened a capsule of Vitamin E with Selenium 400IU and she nibbled on it right out of my hand earlier this morning. I'm ordering the Rooster booster B-12 today, so I can have that coming. In the mean time I just bought B complex with b-12 in it liquid from Walmart. I'm going to give her .2ml twice a day. I went all over Walgreens, Rite-Aid, GNC and even a health food store and the only liquids they carried have citrus or cherry flavor in it with Fructose, and I wasn't sure about giving the chicken that. So the only liquid I could get that carried b's and nothing else is from Walmart.

She doesn't like yogurt, but loves eggs and spinach. I made a hard broiled egg just 15 minutes ago and put that over her Purina crumbles and oyster shells. She ate like a pig on her own. I looked every where for Polyvisol and nobody carries it and after reading it's a last resort. B-12 and this B complex should do the trick and has saved many wry necks Silkies in the past.

As for the road trip to Florida, unless I can get my mother in law to put B drops in my kid, I will have to stay home and let my husband go.

well I hope she'll help you out so you can go on vacation with your dh.. sounds like you have all the bases covered, now you just have to be patient and let all the vitamins do their job, please let us know how she is and hopeful for full recovery for her..
fl.gif

Quote:

smile.png

My chickens are very healthy and I've owned both since 4 weeks of age. They have always had Purina feed and Flock block from the start. If you read wry neck could be from genetics, pecking on the head from others or lack of B deficiency. After reading Purina labels there is really no B in there. A lot of A & E vitamins, in my Flock Block has Vitamin K. They have their own cages which are very large and free to range, so the pecking on the head is not the case. If it was genetics this would have happened months ago. So in my opinion its lack of vitamin B which is also the #1 treatment for crookneck. All the cases I read with wry neck they were out doors, so your opinion of how my Silkie got this is false. My chickens do go outside, but not in 20 degree weather, not when its raining, not when it's snowing. They're free from mites, ticks and fleas. When I first got my white silkie she had red northern mites. After a good dust bath, never had a problem again. She came from a nice breeder who had a barn outside, but she still got it. Since my kids don't go outside all the time, I give them good source of calcium eggs and oyster shells, and they have grit in there Purina crumbles daily. They walk around my house and are a hoot to play with, and sleep on my chest while I watch tv. They're very well taken care of and are not stressed out. They sleep comfy on their pine bedding or roost up in their beds.

She still eats and stands on her own. She is still on the electrolytes which has the b-12 in it since yesterday. I opened a capsule of Vitamin E with Selenium 400IU and she nibbled on it right out of my hand earlier this morning. I'm ordering the Rooster booster B-12 today, so I can have that coming. In the mean time I just bought B complex with b-12 in it liquid from Walmart. I'm going to give her .2ml twice a day. I went all over Walgreens, Rite-Aid, GNC and even a health food store and the only liquids they carried have citrus or cherry flavor in it with Fructose, and I wasn't sure about giving the chicken that. So the only liquid I could get that carried b's and nothing else is from Walmart.

She doesn't like yogurt, but loves eggs and spinach. I made a hard broiled egg just 15 minutes ago and put that over her Purina crumbles and oyster shells. She ate like a pig on her own. I looked every where for Polyvisol and nobody carries it and after reading it's a last resort. B-12 and this B complex should do the trick and has saved many wry necks Silkies in the past.

As for the road trip to Florida, unless I can get my mother in law to put B drops in my kid, I will have to stay home and let my husband go.

Polyvisol the infant vitamin? Walmart and Target should have it for sure it's by either the flinestone vitamins or near the infant tylenol. A lot of stores sell infant products near their carseats and cribs but also sell additional products in the pharmacy area. I've even found baby tylenol once in the bath products isles because they had infant products grouped there by the baby wash lol I have an 18 month old human baby
smile.png
What state do you live in? I used to live in FL, AL and GA so maybe I can recommend a smaller store?

I think it's cute that your birds are really you're babies like that. I don't doubt you are spoiling them
smile.png
I know that by nature chickens are made for the outdoors but really yours seem to have adaptable well to their indoor lifestyle. I can understand why people call silkies the poodle of the chicken world lol
My only question does vitamin D or calcium deficiency have anything to do with this condition? The link that comes to mind would be that their ability for their bodies to use calcium because they might be lacking in vitamin D from not being in the natural sunlight all day like most chickens. I know with people vitamin D intake helps the absorption of calcium.

Just thinking out loud I hope your kiddo is all better soon!

Colie <3 :

Quote:

Polyvisol the infant vitamin? Walmart and Target should have it for sure it's by either the flinestone vitamins or near the infant tylenol. A lot of stores sell infant products near their carseats and cribs but also sell additional products in the pharmacy area. I've even found baby tylenol once in the bath products isles because they had infant products grouped there by the baby wash lol I have an 18 month old human baby
smile.png
What state do you live in? I used to live in FL, AL and GA so maybe I can recommend a smaller store?

I think it's cute that your birds are really you're babies like that. I don't doubt you are spoiling them
smile.png
I know that by nature chickens are made for the outdoors but really yours seem to have adaptable well to their indoor lifestyle. I can understand why people call silkies the poodle of the chicken world lol
My only question does vitamin D or calcium deficiency have anything to do with this condition? The link that comes to mind would be that their ability for their bodies to use calcium because they might be lacking in vitamin D from not being in the natural sunlight all day like most chickens. I know with people vitamin D intake helps the absorption of calcium.

Just thinking out loud I hope your kiddo is all better soon!​

Thank you Lydia.

As of right now I live in Indiana. I went to both infant section as well as the adult section. All I keep seeing is Gerber baby food and Infamil formula. Will see what happens with this B liquid I have. I know the Rooster Booster will definitely do the trick, but in the mean time this is all I have. Hopefully since I caught it quick she will have a speedy recovery. She's resting now and is some what keeping her head up instead of down. My Silkie's are my kids. I treat my animals as if they're humans. I don't eat their eggs or sell them. I'm not in this to make money, they're just my family. My friends crack jokes, but my babies make me laugh and I enjoy talking to them. My white silkie is such a talker. I can't wait until I get my buddy back, so we can carry on with our conversations
smile.png
Thank you for your message. She gets a lot of calcium, and a lot of Vitamin E. It's really more of a vitamin B deficiency. That's why even on browneggblueegg.com they recommend B Complex and other sites a lot of B-12. B-12 and B complex boosts their metabolism and makes them hungry. So hopefully this will have a happy ending.

Back
Top Bottom