PLEASE HELP!!

rubberduckies

Songster
8 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Kentucky
I think some of my ducklings have bumble foot! What do I do!?!?!? They are on hard pine shavings. Or they HAVE been. I'm putting them on old towels today while I find them some hay or something. Could the pine shavings cause this? I'm so worried! Is there anything else I can do!?

Why do you think they have bumblefoot? It is caused by a bacterial infection and I wouldn't expect to see it in young ducklings in a brooder.

I don't think it has progressed into an infection exactly but their feet are definitely hurt. I'm trying to upload pics but this stupid phone...

Finally got the pics to upload. Would it be safe to put neosporin on their feet??

You can put neosporin on their feet, use the stuff without the pain killer in it.

To me, they don't look bad. Keep in mind that they will get caluses and things on their feet. They are just getting them toughened up. There don't appear to be any cuts just some reddened areas and on the lighter foot what looks like a calus starting. Open wounds are bad but they do need to toughen their feet. If they aren't limping or appear to be favoring a foot, I wouldn't worry.

Can you zoom in on the pic maybe? There are open spots. I know it's hard to see in the pic but it look like when you fall on concrete and your skin gets scraped off. It looks a little less red after a warm bath. I'll try neosporin.

They do look a little abraded and raw. Neosporin twice a day should prevent bumblefoot, stick with the towels for a week or so at least. I know it's some work to wash them out (that's what I did), but it has advantages.

Keep an eye on the feet for any signs of it getting worse, and keep the bedding refreshed - it's relative, but the drier and cleaner the bedding the less risk of infection.

When you have a chance could you snap a photo of the bedding itself?

Is there any other surface they have been on? Walking on a sidewalk, for example?

No, they've only been on the pine shavings and in the bathtub. This morning I put towels in their brooder and put their food and water in a 2" deep baking dish. That seems to be containing their mess a lot better and keeping everything dry (so far). They make the biggest mess at night though. Do they really need food/water at night? They usually splash it all out and then go to sleep. When they wake up they start getting demanding about having water. I couldn't find any soft bedding at Orcheln's so I went to TSC. I got this really thin/fine pine shaving. It's really soft and almost like sawdust. It's a million times better than that hard stuff they had. And I got some of the granular sweet PDZ. Would it be ok to put them on that now? I already have all my old towels in the brooder. That caused an argument with my SO this morning. I guess he thought I was using the good towels. Lol. If I really do need to keep them on towels I'll find a way though. Maybe even use old t-shirts or something. I try to get a pic of the new bedding for you.

Back
Top Bottom