Please help!

BreeBrootal

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 16, 2013
Southern oregon
Ok so here's the run down;
I just got 11 new chickens three days ago all are doing great, except for one. (Penelope)
She won't eat or drink on her own, I've tryed meat scraps, scrambled eggs, cut up noodles, cut up strawberrys, caned corn, watered down chicken pellets, bread and mushy Cheerios. Nothing works.
She pooped yesterday and it was green, not runny, kinda think.
She will hardly stay awake most the day and seems like she has a hard time keeping her eyes open.
Her comb is kind of pale, and when she try's to stand up she has no Ballance at all.
If you need any more info just let me know.
If you have any idea what might be wrong with her please help.
(No worms in her poop)
Thank you. -Kayla

How old is she? If she's young, like less than 20 weeks old or so, it could be Coccidiosis. Coccidiosis causes droopiness, sleepiness, lack of appetite, and sometimes bloody droppings. If you think that it is a possiblity, I'd get some Corid (either powder or liquid) and begin treatment. THe dosage for the powder is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon of water, and the liquid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water. Give Corid for five days.

The pale comb makes me think that she could have worms, though none of the other symptoms really fit. Older chickens are more likely to have worms than younger ones. If treating for Coccidiosis doesn't work, deworm her with a dewormer like Valbazen or Safeguard.

What does her crop feel like? Is it hard or squishy? A hard, enlarged crop would mean that she had impacted crop. Treat impacted crop by massaging it and giving her some olive oil. Sour crop would be a little more difficult to treat, but giving some yogurt and apple cider vinegar might help.

I don't really know exactily how old she is, she's a younger hen though. Not fully grown yet.
From what I've found she might be egg bound so I'm going to try a warm bath for her and stick her in a dark quiet room and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Ok, so the bath helped her poop, and she livened up a little bit more but she's just about right back where she was yesterday so I have her a nother bath and am letting her sun dry, I'm wondering if her being constapated is a possibility?
And was also curious as to if you might know why she's making puring sounds?

Back
Top Bottom