Please help.. :'(

Nadiia

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 1, 2014
London
I think my chicken is ill!! He doesn't seem to be talking properly, it sounds very deep and like he has a chesty cough or something?! He seems to be doing everything else normal.. It's just this. Does anyone know what could be wrong with him? I've only just noticed it today
sad.png

He could have any one of a number of poultry respiratory diseases, there is no way to know exactly what he has without having some tests done. Sometimes a hoarse voice that turns into a wet cough can be a sign of infectious bronchitis. But many of these diseases mimic each other as far as symptoms. Some are viral some are bacterial, the problem with all of them is that they very easily turn right into pneumonia and secondary bacterial infections. For that reason antibiotic's are usually given if one does not plan to cull the sick bird. Most of these diseases are not considered curable, even with antibiotic's, because the birds remain carriers of the disease in most cases, with the potential to continue spreading the disease to other birds.

VetRx is similar to menthol products humans use when they have a cold. It may help thin mucous secretions and make it easier to breath if a bird is very congested. It won't cure anything however. The bird will either recover on it's own or it won't. Most pet stores that sell bird products will carry VetRx.

I think I'm gonna take him to the vet tomorrow. I really don't want to risk anything. Thank you so much guys xxx

Here is a very good link to read that lists most of the common respiratory diseases with symptoms and antibiotics to help treat them. Look for infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) infectious larygotracheitis (ILT,) coryza, and aspergillosis: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Hi guys! I woke up this morning because I was gonna take him to the vet.. But I had a little listen and he sounds normal now. Like yesterday, he's still playing with his brother and everything seems fine. What shall I do??

I would recommend just letting things run their course to see if things change again. In the meantime read up on all the various symptoms related to diseases/infections of this type to better determine what to do if it comes up again. I would make sure that the vet you visit is avian qualified.

Thank you, I haven't taken him to the vet or given him and medication. He seems fine, still sounds a bit croaky from time to time but no signs of anything else. Do chickens go through puberty? Could this just be his voice getting deeper?

Hi guys.. I've incubated 18 eggs and only two of then have hatched. They chicks keep getting to the half way point and then just dying, I don't know what to do.. I think it might be my incubator! I have 6 eggs in there atm and only one of them has a chick (I candle lit them) he's due tomorrow but I candle lit him again yesterday and he hasn't really grown.. He s really small, I'm so worried and I feel so bad. Someone please tell me what to do :'(

Back
Top Bottom