please help.

ktwood1229

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2015
I have a baby chick. She's not acting sick at all but I went to go wash her butt and after I wiped the poop blood came out. Is she sick or did I hurt her?

That could be troubling. That area also houses the umbilicus. There's a chance you nicked it cleaning the butt. Probably the chick is fine. Try not to worry unless the chick acts sick, becomes lethargic, and stops eating.

Did she have something stuck there that you wiped/pulled off, you could have nicked her a bit. If you see any sort of wound that would be the first sign. Otherwise something could be up.

Yes I am feeding them medicated starter and she did have stuff stuck there that I wiped off. I checked her this morning and she has stuff stuck again and I'm afraid to wipe her

Sounds like pasty butt- she may have a minor injury- please look it up and read the many ways to adjust how the bird is being kept to keep it from happening again possibly. Soak the birds bottom before wiping, it should fall off not be pulled off. :-/ hang in there and don't stress, you're trying.

Use warm water and Q-tip and very gently wipe it away. A couple of mine had pasty butt after being shipped. If you put a little a and d on it with a q-tip it really helps them not pasty up again. Hope your little chickie is doing ok.

I will try the a and d. I have been checking on her today and there's no blood anywhere so hopefully I just accidentally pulled too hard. Thank you guys!

Back
Top Bottom