Please I Need Help :(

debdave

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
We have enjoyed our four Rhode Island reds for the past 4 years. Unfortunately three have passed away over the past 9 months and I'm left with one......the runt....and strongest....Alice...I'm afraid she won't last very long because she is alone. Should I leave her in the heated coop for the winter....or bring her indoors (garage)???? Can one chicken survive alone???? SO Sad :((((

One chicken can survive alone, but I personally think it's a little cruel for her to do so. Can you get another hen for her to have as a companion? If you are no longer interested in having chickens, would you be able to re home her? Chickens are social animals and really do best around other chickens. Good luck!

I agree with Polkadot. Chooks are social animals and need companionship to be happy and healthy. She'll survive, but it is cruel to keep her isolated.

I recently adopted a single bird whose flock was destroyed by a dog attack. She was quarantined for several weeks (until I determined she was healthy) and she was very eager to be out of isolation. She's since been introduced to my flock (today is her first day of beak-to-beak contact!) and she seems to be doing fine.

It's not ideal to introduce a single bird, but it can be done. See if someone in your community will take her in with their flock. Maybe check on Craigslist or your local paper? Even your feed store may be able to help.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom