Please I really need help

farmertank

Songster
12 Years
Apr 28, 2007
Linden TN
I have a banty rooster that is 9 years old and I have had him forever,I'm really attached.

Today at 7:00 am when I went to feed them everyone was fine. I just came home from work and went out to give them fresh water. He was stuck upside down on the fence. It looks like something may have tried to get him over the fence and his leg caught.

His leg is fine, but it's 80 some degrees here and the humindity is bad. He has mud in his mouth I have cleaned out a bunch, he's covered in ants I have tried to get rid of. He's all limp and he's trying to crow, but he is weezing. I fed a little water from a eye dropper in his mouth, but I don't see him swallow. he's in my bathroom where it's cooler and quiet. I should know what to do but I'm in tears and panicked, please help me save him, what more can I do?

Julie

oh how sad. maybe try to put him the water in case he has gotten over heated. keep trying to get water, maybe some electrolites. I really don't know much to do. poor thing. one of the experts on here should have a good answer for you...

Thank you for responding. I have tried sugar water, but I really don't think he's swollowing. I can't find any outside injuries, I'm afraid something is wrong with his throat. He keeps struggeling and he grunts and trys to crow. i think he's traumatized and doesn't know he's safe. I can do electrolotes, thanks for suggesting it.

Julie

First he is probably in shock and no he will not realize he is safe for a while yet. Keeping him in a darkened place will help that. keep him in a cool place but do not try to cool him to drastically as that is one of the problems with shock (staying warm for shock victims) but he also may have a bit of heat stroke or that sort of thing. Best to just keep him in a cool place and let his body adjust as best it can.

If something tried to carry him over the fence he could have other injuries including internal.

keep water available and keep trying to get some in him. in my experience it does not take much water to help when chickens are dehydrated. any water in him at all will help and it will be immediate. For now he is for the most part terrified and hopfully will start drinking and such when he calms down enough

Thank you so much. I have him in a dark box in the bathroom. It's cool in there. I will keep trying to water him every half hour with a dropper until he responds. I have had a bobcat problem and that's why they can't free range. I wonder if he didn't try to fly out and hit the fence and got stuck, his wing is clipped, so that may be why he didn't make it over. I'm worried about his age, he's 9 and can't bounce back like he used to.

Thanks for the help, I will keep you posted in how Grandparoo is doing.

Julie

I had a rooster injured in a dog attack .. he was in shock for over 24 hours .. and it took him almost 3 days to crow again (the most beautiful sound I ever heard) ..

I hope your baby is ok!
hugs.gif

Like everyone said, he may be in shock and overheated. Just keep calm. He's all stressed. Keep up with the water drops, in a darkened space. Probably overnight.

9 years is quite old so give him extra loving, and later, his favorite treats, scrambled eggs, yogurt, fruit maybe.

Please keep us updated. Good luck.

A 3:10 this afternoon Grandparoo passed away. He was 9 yeasr old and the best rooster I ever had. I love him so much.

Thank you for all your help in trying to save him...I guess it was just not to be.

RIP little buddy, I love you.
hit.gif

Julie

Back
Top Bottom