Please, if someone can help! And I am sorry for posting again, but I have not received any response

Baysailor

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 25, 2013
Hi,
I just had 8 chicks hatch, one came out with it's yolk sac still attached. The other chicks didn't seem to peck at it, so I left them alone in the incubator. On day 2 I removed the chicks that had hatched first and left in 3 that still needed a little drying out (including the one that had the yolk sac attached). By this time the yolk sac had detached and when I moved the last 3 to a separate brooder, I noticed something protruding from the chick that had the sac attached. I am trying to keep an eye on it, it still does not seem to be eating, but it is only day 2 since the hatch. It seems to be alert, but rests more than the other late hatched chicks.

I will post a picture, if anyone can give me some advice, I would appreciate it!

oh wow. I don't have a clue but it sucks when you see people reading but don't respond. I read, and have no clue how to respond. I think you better put some antibacterial ointment on it.

hugs.gif

Hey, I just recently completed my first hatch, but did not have any chicks with the yolk sac "unabsorbed". I wish I had some advice for you, but maybe just go online to another site and check out what they have to say about this. Personally, if I didn't know what to do about it, I would probably make a mild/warm chlorine or iodine solution and soak its little bottom until the yuck melts off. That may be totally wrong advice, but it sounds like its not doing so well at this point anyway, and none of the egg-sperts have put in their 2 cents worth. Maybe this post will inspire somebody that really knows to speak up. I am so sorry you have this problem, because I know how helpful it was for me to search here and find some help, when I had biddies stuck in their shells during my hatch. Have you looked under the hatching advice thread/s?
caf.gif
I wish I had more helpful advice for you...say a prayer maybe?!?!?

ecd64b49_Charlie135.jpeg

Is this what your little guy looked like earlier?
I found this on BYC while searching "chick that has not absorbed yolk sac"
You may find some advice there...one said that after 5 days it was all ok.
It may not be the same and yours...take a look. Could be belly button or vent
problem. You will be able to tell by examining your chick. I hope this helps a little.

When the chick first hatched, the yolk sac was a few inches behind the chick, so what is left cannot be part of that, but I have no idea if I can help it.. It has not eaten or had water, since hatching. This is plugging the vent, so I am worried that even if it did eat and drink, it could not "go".

I am just thinking time is running out quickly for the little one.

Last edited:
Kelsie, thanks for that link. It seems that this could be the problem, but I am not sure. I have tried to use a eye dropper with some mashed up chicken starter and will continue to do that, but it seems to be getting weaker now. I disinfected the incubator before setting the eggs, but when this one hatched it was pretty dirty from the other hatches.

I will be getting some Veterycin this morning and continue to to feed it with an eye dropper a few times a day. From what I have read, most chicks don't survive this, but I want to try and help it.

Last edited:
Today, the little chick passed, not long after my first application of Vetericyn. If I ever see this again, at least I can start sooner, although it seems it is rare for a chick to make it. The good news after is that a chick that pipped below the middle of the egg hatched, still had a small amount of yolk sac protruding, but seems very energetic. It pipped on day 23 and hatched on day 24. I will keep an eye on the yolk sac to see that it does get absorbed.

Sorry about the chick not making it, ones that are that bad don't seem to have much of a chance, or have something else wrong we can't see. Glad your other problem egg hatched fine, hope that chick does well.

Back
Top Bottom