Please Keep my Chick in Your Thoughts....

Thanks all. I heard from our vet around 9:00 pm that Millie has turned the corner and she thinks Millie is going to make it.
smile.png
It looks like the blue jay punctured her jugular and she has some significant bruising in her neck. A steroid shot, some oxygen and some incubation seem to be helping. She's at home with our vet for the night (did I mention that our vet loves chickens?) and I will have to keep her isolated for a bit when she comes home.

This may sound weird, but thank you for not knowing how vicious blue jays could be! I feel like such an idiot for not taking better care of the chicks.

I've gotten a bit of flack from folks who feel like "hey, she's a chick, who cares?" but the truth is that without a hen to guard over her it was my job and responsibility to watch over her--thus my responsibility to give her a fighting chance after the attack.

Keep up those prayers and good thoughts. The vet and I are talking about changing the chicks' name to "Miracle Millie"!!!

So glad Millie is healing here in Kansas blue jays are really small but I know in CO they are huge. I never thought that they would attack a chick but I am not surprised.

Im so glad she is doing well And Im so Happy to actually see that someone else has actually taken their chick/chicken to the Vet !!
yippiechickie.gif

Millie came home last night and is doing amazingly well. My vet is wonderful, she had kept Millie with her at her house so she could keep a close eye on her overnight. My daughter came with me to pick her up and it was so cute--the second Millie heard our voices she perked up and began some very LOUD chirping. The vet even got a laugh out of it and mentioned that Millie had been quiet and sleepy until we arrived.

Upon the vet's recommendations, I put Millie in with her chick-mates where she proceeded to eat, drink and chirp with joy. We kept an eye on them so that nobody would peck at her and then put Millie in her own box when we had to leave them alone. I had no idea chicks could sound so sad, they cooed at each other and chirped in alarm for quite some time.

All is well today though--happy chicks are all together and even enjoyed some outside time in the now COVERED chicken pen.

Back
Top Bottom