Please Look...Really Nervous...Hatching Day

lklascala

Chirping
Apr 30, 2020
Hi everyone. I am hatching Silver Runner Ducks. 9 out of 10 have pipped.
The one I'm concerned about (image attached) pipped yesterday at 11 am, but hasn't done much since.
My husband opened the pip up (against my wishes), but now I'm afraid he's going to dry out and not be able to zip.
He is moving his beak, and cheeping. Do I help or not?

Attachments

• Duck 1.jpg
    Duck 1.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 55
I have found that ducklings usually do not hatch until 24-48 hours after pipping. If you have hatched chickens or quail, ducks are much slower. The best (and hardest) thing you can do is sit on your hands and leave the eggs alone. Your husband hit blood because the blood vessels haven’t shrunken yet. It takes time. Since they have pipped they have oxygen. They do not need food or water so try to let them be. I know it is hard, I have a drake outside that I almost killed trying to “help” but he survived despite my blunders. Your little one is most likely going to be fine, hang in there!

I have found that ducklings usually do not hatch until 24-48 hours after pipping. If you have hatched chickens or quail, ducks are much slower. The best (and hardest) thing you can do is sit on your hands and leave the eggs alone. Your husband hit blood because the blood vessels haven’t shrunken yet. It takes time. Since they have pipped they have oxygen. They do not need food or water so try to let them be. I know it is hard, I have a drake outside that I almost killed trying to “help” but he survived despite my blunders. Your little one is most likely going to be fine, hang in there!
The reason I'm so nervous is because the same exact thing happened to us 1 month ago with our last batch. We waited and our duck died in the shell. I was devastated knowing he was cheeping the night before.

Hi everyone. I am hatching Silver Runner Ducks. 9 out of 10 have pipped.
The one I'm concerned about (image attached) pipped yesterday at 11 am, but hasn't done much since.
My husband opened the pip up (against my wishes), but now I'm afraid he's going to dry out and not be able to zip.
He is moving his beak, and cheeping. Do I help or not?
Are you going to sell any of them? I would leave it alone for now!

Back
Top Bottom