Please...my pet chicken is eggbound...time is of the essence

Okay....I went to the farm and feed store today and picked up some sevin for dusting. They didn't have anything "liquid vitamin" to give 3 drops to. I soaked her for about 2 hours today...just kept adding warm water. Her stomach has really been making growling sounds for the last hour, but nothing happening. Is her stomach suppose to be making those sounds?

Quote:
Now, that is funny!
gig.gif

The "penguin" waddling description makes me think you have an internal layer. This is when the natural peristaltic action (muscle contractions that in this case move the egg through the reproductive system) for some reason malfunction ~ sometimes even moving in reverse. I have never read of a cure for this, and my Damerow handbook indicates there is none as well. Perhaps someone with more experience can comment.

In any case, the mites are not the real problem at the moment.

I am sorry your hen is unwell ~ keeping her as comfortable as possible and administering vitamins/electrolytes seems reasonable. You may want to keep a close eye on her and note if she becomes too uncomfortable.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Jen in TN

Lusty, is her poop green? Just wondering because I did have a hen walk like a penguin. I gave her the mineral oil treatment, the long baths, antibiotics, etc. She died. Internal layer.

I've had others that walked like a penguin for 1 day and I did nothing. They were fine the next day. Guess they had a thin shelled egg they couldn't expel right away.

She'll feel better now that you've dusted her and killed mites.

polyvisol is a liquid childrens A-B-D vitamin (so you will not find it in the feed store).
Ascites (fluid on the abdomen) often accompanies reproductive problems (fluid with be soft abdomen and the built up egg mass will be firm abdomen) ....
as I explained in the pm if ascites you need to relieve the bird of the excess fluid on the abdomen and any vet can do this. Often they will give a shot of baytril at the same time to deal with any infection.

Good morning all...my hen is still with us...I must say, I was hoping she would just quietly go through the night. As I walked to the hen house with no signs of her, I thought she was gone, but when I was 5 feet away she must have heard me and started her "talking to me" cluck. She really isn't very mobile so I carried her to her favourite morning time of the yard, spread out some hay and brought her some water. After reading so much information from everyone, I have come to the conclusion that she is an "internal layer". I understand there is no cure (by the way SueBee...yes, her poop is still green), but can someone tell me how long she is going to suffer this way? I'm afraid the weight is going to break her legs! I cannot help her to end the misery....that is not in my make up...I wouldn't even know how. I'll keep those of you interested, updated - those that find any of this humerous can save their fingers and type on someone else's forum...I have four children that are not finding any of it funny.

Back
Top Bottom