Please perpetuate my denial

pbjmaker

Crowing
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Central Iowa
These are two of my 5 week old chicks. The first one is Sonny a cochin. The red in the comb and wattle area suggest roo - but my other cochins have way bigger combs that are bright red. I am also thinking that it is a splash (the feathers are more of a blue based white and there are a couple of dark gray "spots")

Please tell me its really a pullet - not a later blooming roo.

SN850283.jpg

SN850286.jpg

This is April who I have no clue on - and my understanding is that Silkies/Showgirls are hard to sex. S/he is very cautious and did not want to pose for any pictures.

SN850292.jpg

SN850293.jpg

Thanks for opinions!

No clue about the second chick, I don't know anything about those. The cochin, though, at 5 weeks....I'd say roo. Cochins are very slow developing birds, and right now I have 5 12 week olds and the roo out of the bunch is only now starting to get a larger comb and wattles, although they did turn red at just a few weeks. You say the others have larger, redder combs? Hmmm....that to me says all those would be roos, too....it takes a much longer time, even for regular breeds, for the females to get the red combs and wattles. Post pics of all of them!!!

Last edited:
Ok here is some of his hatchmates with him - I fear out of 9 bantam cochins I have 8 roos. If April is also a roo then that would make 10 roos out of 14 birds.

SN850294.jpg

This guy already started crowing:
SN850300.jpg

This is Rogue who just wanted his picture taken and wouldn't go away until I took it - he is such a handsome boy...

SN850305.jpg

I am not sure about the second one, but I think the first one is a
duc.gif

sorry, but I do think the first one is a.......rooster.....oops...it slipped out.....
duc.gif

I just wish that was true...

Seems I got a knack for hatching roos. My Millies came up 5 roos, 3 hens and the ones I hatched this spring in preschool came out 4 out of 4 roos. The only one that was "day-old sexed" as a pullet was even a roo (My 20 week old RIR)

Back
Top Bottom