PLEASE PLEASE help my Duck

FF

Songster
10 Years
Jan 9, 2010
Tennessee
Hello. My little duck we got a TSC in April is basically parylized. She walks on her joints on her legs. SHe uses a mixture of her bill, her wings and her limp legs to to "walk". I have done everything I've been told and nothing is working. they were fine when we brought them home. So somehwere I have done something. the ducks I have had before didn't do this. And I raised them all the same. I've tryed making her excercise them in a pool by swimming but she panics. She can move both legs and both feet. But she doesn't walk on any of them. PLEASE help me. This is my last resort. I do not even want to think about what is the last resort. It would kill the little ones and I'd hate it too. I want to do anything but put her down. But if it ends her suffering then I would. She gets all dirty from dragging her feathers so we all give her baths to keep her clean. But shes on the grass and she doesn't get in the pool. Please in any way help. We all would greatly appreciate it!

Does it seem to hurt when you move her little legs? I'm guessing they're not broken? I've seen a thread on here about using bandaids to 'tape' chickens feet & legs whenever they're mis-shaped so they can form/heal correctly. I've never done this but (I, also, have two small ducks and couldn't imagine how heart wrenching this is) I'll see if I can find the thread. Also, I've seen where people make slings outta socks and plastic milk jugs for their chickens when they're paralyzed during Mareks. Try looking both of those threads up by using the search button on the top right side of the forum pages. I'll look and see what I can find. Maybe a 'sock' sling would at least take some of the pressure off her legs if you can 'tape' them up so they can heal/form properly. I'm kinda shooting in the dark here, too.

fl.gif

Ok, I'm hoping I'm posting this link correctly so you see it. Scroll to the bottom and you'll see the photos of the slings. I'm blown away by the ideas that people come up with, amazing!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5901798

Here's another link about 'splayed leg', maybe it'll give you some ideas. Also, I read where people do physical therapy on the critter by moving it back-n-forth and messaging it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=41693

Good luck to you and I hope maybe you'll give us an update!!!!

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the help. I am trying this. Actually both of them. The future isn't lookinh too good but its worth a try. Id like to thank you for takingthe time to help me. I will let you know what happens!

Back
Top Bottom