Please, please, please, tell me I'm wrong!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Heather J, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    So I got 8 white frizzled cochins from Ideal three weeks ago, they only do it straight run, so I figured I could get a lot of roos--no problem, I could deal with that. Only I have a problem. They are three weeks old tomorrow and all of them are developing combs! Please tell me I'm wrong and there is some minuscule chance that this baby could be a girl instead!

[​IMG]

2. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    If they start getting combs, it doesn't mean it's a rooster, but if they start turning red, then your in trouble..

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I agree. I have one I swore was a boy but as the rest got redder hers stayed the same, just a bit bigger then my other girls. Red is the best indicator [​IMG]
    Krista

4. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Whew! All right then, I'll wait a few more weeks until I start seeing them redden up really good. When I started seeing those combs I just about died. I can live with 4 or 5 boys out of the seven if i must, but I'd really rather have at least a couple of girls (more would, of course, be better. lol)

My barred cochin is only a couple of weeks older than they are and his comb is already really red, so I won't have very long to wait.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Dont worry - all my chicks have combs. And they are guranteed 90% hens....

6. Lostdog

Lostdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Quote:Heather ,
    Did all your cochins "frizzle"? I ordered 4 and all mine ended up frizzled.I was happy but I think I have 3 roos out of 4.[​IMG]

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    you're wrong...oh, wait, what's the question???[​IMG]

they all get combs. keep watching, you'll see that some stay short and others will sprout up like gang busters!

that is a cutie no matter what!

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I dont think its a rooster.

9. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    I posted pictures of my cochins, both turned out to be roosters, they are now crowing. Lilpeeps replied and posted a really nice picture of her two roosters and one pullet. Check it out under. What Gender?? (Pictures) by Sandy Sea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by