Please post pix of your pheasants. :]

Its a dog run . I have put wire around the sounds for fox protection and put branchesin as well as securing gaps. My red golds share it with a frizzle chicken

I just put my pheasant eggs in the bator today!:) yay!
How long until I will start seeing development?? And how often should I candle them? - will a good strong flashlight be sufficient enough to be used as a candler??

I just put my pheasant eggs in the bator today!
smile.png
yay!
How long until I will start seeing development?? And how often should I candle them? - will a good strong flashlight be sufficient enough to be used as a candler??
I would say about 4 days to see veins. and you can then candle at 7 days and 14 days and when I am locking them down to see the air sack. Thats what I do. And with the color of my ringnecks I needed a egg candler to see into them.. even then its kinda hard. So You may need to get one.. Mine was 5 bucks LOL. I know I am cheep xD!!!

Okay I'm at a stand still and I'm hoping someone can tell me the correct answer or possibly guide me to it..

I was told that I am not allowed to feed my baby pheasant chicks a medicated chick starter because the medication can kill them.. so I went to the feed store and bought me some pheasant feed starter and it turns out that the feed is medicated!! so now I am starting to stress that when my eggs hatch I will kill them by the feed that I am using..
any thoughts on medicated vs non medicated ??

Last edited:
How about some new pic's for an old thread? The first two (Golden and Blue-eared) are of free range birds and I have posted the same photographs elsewhere on byc. The last two are of Silver Pheasants one of which shows parent hatched and raised chicks from 2012.

Golden Pheasant

Blue-Eared Pheasant

Silver Pheasant

Silver Pheasants

-Stephen

Very nice! That is cool that your red goldens and blue eared free range. I love that picture of the silver male in the snow. I was hoping when I had silvers that the hen would go broody and raise her chicks, but she didn't.

I just put my pheasant eggs in the bator today!
smile.png
yay!
For beginners ,unless your tracking egg progression for science class or something, I recommend not handling your eggs. I don't candle eggs at all unless short of space in the incubator or brooder. I prefer to avoid handling my incubating eggs period. I collect them and put them in egg storage, I touch them again when I put them in the turners, and the only other time I touch the eggs is moving them to the hatcher at lockdown. If you are touching the eggs to candle or float test wash your hands first.

Back
Top Bottom