Please post your chicken dogs!

This is Maddie, a Anatolian Shepherd/Great Pyrenees cross, at about a year old early this spring. We got her in the hopes to once again be able to day range our birds. The coyotes have made that too costly the last couple of years.

She likes to pick a good vantage point and keep an eye on the birds in their runs.

Here she was getting concerned about a turkey vulture flying too close to her birds.

This is Maddie, a Anatolian Shepherd/Great Pyrenees cross, at about a year old early this spring. We got her in the hopes to once again be able to day range our birds. The coyotes have made that too costly the last couple of years.

She likes to pick a good vantage point and keep an eye on the birds in their runs.

Here she was getting concerned about a turkey vulture flying too close to her birds.
Beautiful girl, the spot on her back is in the exact place as on my boy's brother. Have you ever played guess the picture with the spot on her chest? I almost thought texas, but then looked again, it looks like a dog with pointed ears, it's only missing the lower jaw.

Beautiful girl, the spot on her back is in the exact place as on my boy's brother. Have you ever played guess the picture with the spot on her chest? I almost thought texas, but then looked again, it looks like a dog with pointed ears, it's only missing the lower jaw.

Thank you, the wife picked her out. The only black out of a litter of tan, tan and white, most with black masks. I'm liking what I see out of her, more and more every day. The last couple days she has winded something coming from our neighbors pasture, behind almost diminished wood pile (blue tarp in photo) and electric fence. Her hair comes up, tail curls up over her back, and she is on full alert, starts loping up and down the fence line, letting whatever she is winding know that she is on the job.

Can't say I have ever played the game, but yeah I could see a unfinished portrait of a Scottie looking back at you.

Last edited:

This is how we knew we had a Chicken Dog... Van Helsing, our standard poodle - we had him on leash the first time we let him get this close...just in case. He lay down, and one of our young hens hopped on him. He opens his leg to allow proper access for a belly rub. Now that's a chicken dog! We're lucky...he's so very tolerant of these girls and their non-stop antics. He will growl if a cat comes near, or our other dog, and never bothers them himself. Now, there's really no need for all that growling. These lovely ladies are quite adept at running off any critters that dare to come near. Van Helsing, though, they just act like he's one of the flock.

This is my chicken dog, his name is Cole. Cole is a two and a half year old mini poodle who treats the chickens like his sisters and Is always very calm around them. He's such a sweetheart :)

Last edited:
Ironic, I guess - not in a funny way - A few hours after posting this picture of Van Helsing, my amazing Chicken Dog, we got a call from his vet, and he has a squamous cell carcinoma on one of his paws. The toe has to be amputated, and we'll know more after xrays tomorrow, if it seems to be contained to the toe. Please pray for Van Helsing. He's the most special dog I've ever seen - and I don't even want to think about what life would be without him.

Back
Top Bottom