Please provide an option choice upfront?

Kikiriki

Songster
May 26, 2011
Roanoke County, Virginia
I typically use an iPad my dad gave me, and came on today to find I had been pushed to a set up for mobile devices. I appreciate the need for the change for some folks, and I appreciate the work you put into it. That said, I hatemobile pages! (Yes, I really feel that strongly negative about them;) ).They typically lose out equally or more in function what they gain in readability and I always opt for the desktop version. It would be wonderful to be asked once upon first coming to the site if one wants the desktop or mobile version.

I have a link directly to the forum, which I used today. The mobile page that came up automatically did not seem to have an option linking back to desktop...i had to play to find it on another page (preference page after signing in). If I missed the link, perhaps it needs to be more prominent?

Please, please please, please! Do not push users into an option they may not want!

Thanks for the feedback!

There are definitely pros to presenting the option up front vs. pushing someone to one version or the other. In the research our team has done, most people prefer that they get the mobile version and then have the option to change to another version.

You should be able to very easily switch back to the full version of the site by clicking the "Desktop" button at the bottom of each page.

Note: once you change your view on your mobile device we remember that choice moving forward.

Back
Top Bottom