PLEASE READ THIS New ROO's HELP

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Blueroo63, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Blueroo63

Blueroo63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    N.Texas
    everytime I go out to check for eggs feed my bird ,do anything outside my 2 new Blue Lace Red Wyandotte's fight over who going to court me like I'm a new pullets the dark one even tries to call me to him when feed treats if I don't come to him,he brings his treats to me and clucks his little head off till I pick it up,is this normal for Blue Lace Red Wyandotte"s never had a rooster act like this and both of them are,they dance all around me and spar for my attention [​IMG] I had heard of Puppy love but Roo love [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2009
  2. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    LOL never had a roo try to woo me! that is so cute. Did have one that would follow me around EVERYWHERE when I was outside but he just followed me, no dancing for me or anything.

3. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    Quote:you have go tot get a video of this i would love to see lol i have never heard of it before

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

There are those on here who would strongly discourage this behavior b/c it would indicate the roo doesn't see you as "alpha". Personally, I would smile & tell him he's being a good provider, but if he started to try to "herd" you or mount your shoe or something like that, it's time to convince him you're not his gal... If they're young, they may just be coming into their "roo-ness" and show off for you. [​IMG]

5. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Yeah, I agree, probably not a really good idea, but OMG how sweet!!!!! My BLRW roo is the sweetest little (ummmm......HUGE) guy ever. They really are especially friendly, docile chickies!!!!

6. Blueroo63

Blueroo63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    N.Texas
    thank you all for sharing the davice ,and I just did'nt know what to think of these 2 boys,know they are not getting mean and trying anything .I just did'nt know if this is commion behavior for BLRWaydottes to be so loving and friendly thanks again for the input,i will keep the up hand with them any ideas how to do that without making them mean roo's

7. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    [​IMG] I have a hen that courts me everytime I come out back. She is the first one to the door cooing at me and squatting [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by