PLEASE READ

Excellent news. I'd keep her isolated for at least another day, to make sure she is happily eating and drinking and that her crop continues to empty. Then you can see what happens when you let her back with the others. If they're still picking on her too much give her a bit more time isolated. There may be some squabbles as they readjust their pecking order, you just want to be sure she is able to hold her own even if she is picked on a little bit.

Excellent news. I'd keep her isolated for at least another day, to make sure she is happily eating and drinking and that her crop continues to empty. Then you can see what happens when you let her back with the others. If they're still picking on her too much give her a bit more time isolated. There may be some squabbles as they readjust their pecking order, you just want to be sure she is able to hold her own even if she is picked on a little bit.
Thank you again for responding. I’ve learned so much from y’all, y’all are truly a blessing. Ive lost two of my six girls & really didn’t want to lose Macy. One was egg bound & I don’t know it until she had passed & the other, I believe, was suffering from egg peritonitis. My husband culled her to end her suffering. I would never take a chicken to the vet either. This forum & fine people like yourself has help me tremendously in figuring things out. I may reach out again in a few days, & if you’re inclined, keep Macy (& me, lol) in prayer.

So glad that she is doing better. A good way of keeping her with the flock so that she doesn’t lose her spot in the pecking order, is to place her in a wire dog crate with food and water. I also cover mine at the top in case the others jump up on it. If your coop and run are large enough the crate can stay in there until she is back in the flock. Don’t keep her isolated for more than today if possible, and make sure that they are not pecking to bad when she goes back.

I spoke too soon. After work yesterday, went to let the girls out for a few hours & macy still had the phlegmy rattle and cough. She’s eating and drinking normally & her crop emptied completely again this morning. With this being said, I assuming she had a respiratory infection? What should I give her? Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. My coup/run is large enough for me to put a dog kennel in it so she not really alone. I covered the top with a tarp so the others don’t poop on her. I have a roost in there for her as well. Should I make a nesting box her? I hope I didn’t cause the respiratory infection by giving her the medication for worms & sour crop. I was really mindful when giving it to her. Today is 7 days from her last dose of safeguard too. Should I give her another 5 day round?

Again any advice is welcomed. I believe I read about giving a cattle antibiotic for respiratory infections but I can’t seem to find the dosing breakdown or name of the medication. I believe it’s sold a tractor supply without a prescription, does that sound familiar? I appreciate you all.

I can't speak to what medications as I'm not in your country. I've also not treated mine with antibiotics, when I've been in a situation they may have been warranted, the hen was too far gone already for it to help.
It sounds like you're doing the right things, hopefully someone else will advise you on medication. I think it is a bit too soon for worming again, if I've had a bad case of worms in the flock I wait 2-3 weeks between doses but I use wormers that are dosed just the one day and not for 5 days. Usually just my maintenance rounds of worming every spring and every autumn is sufficient.

I would not treat with antibiotics at this point, unless she has nasal drainage, eye bubbles, and a swollen eyelid or face. Maybe her cough and rales are due to congestion after taking the wormer, or mucus. It is hard to know why, and I’m not a vet. Most respiratory diseases from bacteria or mycoplasma will cause those symptoms above.
As for antibiotics from feedstores, Tylan 50 injectable for cattle can sometimes be found along with syringes and needles. But it is usually given orally after removing the needle, in chickens. Tylan or tylosin powder for the water is usually a prescription drug, that can be found without a prescription online for pigeoons here:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

Oxytetracycline injectable (in different brands such as LA 200) is available in the refrigerated drugs. It is long acting injectable given every 3 days once or twice, to treat mycoplasma (MG.) Some people try to use it orally, but I can’t really give a proper dosage. Here is some dosage info in a very old post, but I cannot verify if that is correct:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/miracle-la-200-dosage-and-vetrx-for-crd-treatment.631458/

Thanks again for responding. I think I will continue to keep her in the kennel & see how it goes, that’s all I can really do at this point. She doesn’t have another physical symptoms other than the rattle. If she develops any of the other symptoms, I may try an over the counter antibiotic. She needs to gain back the weight she lost when she had the worms. I’ll build her a nesting box for the kennel and see if she lays any eggs. I take the girls out every evening for a few hours while I tend to my garden, flowers & yard. The other girls don’t really bother her other than an occasional peck, they don’t gang up or chase her like they did in the coop. It frustrating, to say the least, that the well girls won’t let her be.

Thank you again for all of your advice/support, I appreciate it.

Just keep watch on her crop emptying overnight. Did she have any trouble swallowing the medicine? I usually give about 1/4 ml of any medicine at a time, letting them swallow, and then giving a little more.

Just keep watch on her crop emptying overnight. Did she have any trouble swallowing the medicine? I usually give about 1/4 ml of any medicine at a time, letting them swallow, and then giving a little more.
No, she took it like a champ. She’s acting normal other than no eggs since going in the kennel. I’m putting something in for a nesting box. I put her to bed with a full crop & only have water in there over night, hopefully she will keep improving & the phlegmy stuff will clear.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    844.6 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom