Please reply quick - something needs to be done tonight, maybe?

... think the coop is to small? I don't want it to be. ...By the way, they don't spend much time in the coop except at night, laying eggs, and sometimes (not very often) in bad weather. They also have a big run which I'll be extending this fall or next spring.

Lots of people here on BYC forum recommend 4 square feet per bird and that seems to be more or less agreed upon. But as you mentioned, other things need to be considered such as access to a run, how much time they spend in their coop, etc... My chickens will be spending most of their time in their coop during our Minnesota winter, so I made my coop about twice the recommended size. They have access to a nice chicken run, but they don't much want to go outside in the snow.

I think your coop will be fine with 6 chickens, but if you get hit by chicken math and end up with more chickens, then I'd look into a larger coop. If your 6 chickens get aggressive towards one another, then maybe you will have to get a bigger coop, or cut back on the number of chickens you carry forward. If your girls are doing fine, I would not worry about it. You have a nice looking coop there and I would be happy to have that in my backyard.

I put a piece of wood over one opening and held it with a screw. It will work good for tonight.

You know, sometimes it's just about getting through the day. :thumbsup

Thanks everyone, I put a piece of wood over one opening and held it with a screw. It will work good for tonight.

@ChickenCanoe - do you really think the coop is to small? :hmm I don't want it to be. But your a trusted person here on BYC so I will see what you say....?
By the way, they don't spend much time in the coop except at night, laying eggs, and sometimes (not very often) in bad weather. They also have a big run which I'll be extending this fall or next spring.

Thanks!
- Clucky
I said it was a bit small but I think you are OK. I've packed some buildings tighter than that but like you said, they were only in to roost from dusk to dawn. Several issues come with that, As stocking density increases, more frequent cleaning is necessary but even more important is ventilation, so as was said, don't cover with plastic.

Lowes and Home Depot both have rolls of burlap in the garden centers that they sell by the linear foot. The feed store by my house does the same.
I once bought a 100'X4' remnant of 90% shade cloth at FarmTek and it has come in handy to shade pens and block out light on windows. It has lasted about 10 years and I'm still using it.

Might be fine for just sleeping, what does inside look like?
But way too small if they get stuck in there during days long snow storms.

Burlap is a good idea.
Didn't know they carried it at big box garden center, but makes sense.
Can get it at fabric stores too.
Wonders about difference in sizes and pricing between the 2?

@Cryss had some great stand off exterior baffles that could fit the bill here.

I only have a few pictures of what it looks like from the inside....
DSCN2876.jpg
DSCN2872.jpg

DSCN4116.jpg

Do these help? There are two perches up above.

I have electronic temp/humidity gages in my coops. I can monitor them from the comfort of my home and respond if there is a problem. I have some less cold tolerant breeds- seramas, silkies and Polish, all going thru their first winter. I did bring some of the seramas, a frizzle bantam and a naked-back (attacked by guineas) bantam Polish indoors 2 nights when it got down to 9 and 12 F. In Arkansas!!! - that is just wrong in November.

I once bought a 100'X4' remnant of 90% shade cloth at FarmTek and it has come in handy to shade pens and block out light on windows. It has lasted about 10 years and I'm still using it.
I used shade cloth to cover windows when we had a crazy wind storm a few weeks ago (60 mph with gusts up to 80 - that's way windier than we normally get, so I was worried). It was a last minute job and the shade cloth is what I had on hand. It worked beautifully! I just stretched it taut and tacked it on with nails. I have a temp/humidity gauge in the coop. Humidity rose a bit, but not to significantly worrisome levels.

Back
Top Bottom