1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please someone

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Berynn, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    When I candle my 12 day old eggs I see veins and stuff, should I see something moving as well.
    When do they start rocking in their shell

2. dirtfishing1

dirtfishing1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2007
    Blue Ridge Mtns VA
    veins and stuff are good. rocking is later in day 19+

good luck!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Jenny, you dont always see them move, so don't worry! If you see veins, that's great!

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Your right on target with veins and maybe the eye or dark spot....day 14 you might see movement inside the egg and at day 18 you should see dark mass with movement inside the egg...no movement outside that I have ever seen...when the eggs start to pip at day 19 thru 21 then they will move and rock on the outside....

5. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Not yet, it's too soon. Just be patient. Sounds like thery're alive and well. Just watch the temp and humidity. Mine didn't move around until I took them out of the turner and laid them down. That was day 18. They hatched on day 19. Too early, but they were fine. I'm on my 2nd batch now, day 9. I'm leaving them alone until day 14, when I'll candle them again. Good Luck...Patience

6. lady chicken whisperer

lady chicken whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Ohio
    actually the chicks grow realllly fast. By day 4 on mine i could see the peep, but i have very trained eyes on this, it is hard to see if you dont know what your looking for. I noticed that one of mine had stopped growing and died(the yolk was just spinning around the egg like mush and no longer movement) and i chose to discard and broke the egg open just to see. At day 7 the chick already had eyes and nubs where wings and legs would be.

Sad for me, but interesting how they grow that fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by