Please tell me hen or rooster!

Here are some better pictures.

This is the biggest and one of the nastiest.

May32007102.jpg

May32007099.jpg

Here's #2, brown with #3 white
May32007107-1.jpg

May32007105.jpg

Here's #4
May32007101.jpg

Here's #5
May32007106.jpg

Here's #6
May32007103.jpg

Can you guys help me out here. I am trying hard to see these as roosters but I don’t know what I’m looking at. I think I understand hackles, but how do you judge? Same w/ saddle. My 19 wk hens (I know they’re hens b/c I posted pix and was assured they were and I worship at the altar of BYC!
big_smile.png
) look kinda like these roos in that they have combs and wattle-thingies. Educate me, please!

Quote:
Yes, could someone please explain why they all look like roos?

How can it be that 6 out of 6 are roos?
sad.png

You can't make a fair assessment from the comb and wattles. I have a golden laced wyandotte that I think has enormous wattles, but she lays the most precious little brown eggs - so I know she's a she. The tail feathers will give it away every time though. A rooster's feathers will curve and come to a point. A hen's will be straight and round on the end. Rooster's tail feather's are longer as well.

As for the 6 out of 6 being boys, where'd you get them and were you promised females? Pictures are always hard to judge from, but it sure looks like a flock of boys to me.

Last edited:
Unfortunately they do look like roos. The roo in pic #1 is a beautiful bird. What breed is he? They all lok like mixes to me but the first one I think is the coolest looking. Hope I'm wrong though and you have at least one hen. Good Luck.

Don't give up on them yet because u said they were only 4 months (16 weeks) you still got another 2 weeks to go at least and myne didn't even start laying till almost the end of the 20th week.

I think number one is definatly a rooster because look at his tail feathers and he looks like a man in the face.

I think number 2 might be a rooster to

Number 3 i think is a girl because I have leghorns and up untill the moment they strted laying I thought everyone of them were guys because thats what they looked like.

Number 4, 5 and 6 I think are hens also.

Quote:
I got them from a local farmer. I wasn't promised anything, but was hoping I'd end up with at least 1 hen.

Quote:
The farmer said they were total mixes. She hatched them and she has alot. RR, BR, leghorns, etc.

#1 is really pretty and was the nicest one as a chick. So friendly and easy going.

Now it's the fiestiest. I picked up one that pecked my foot and it screeched and #1 came after me with it's hackle feathers all fluffed up. Scared me.

Then I tried to pick up #1 and it turned around on me.

I finally picked it up and hung it upside down and then righted it and took the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom