Please Tell Me How I Ca Help This Baby..see Photo

turningchicken

Songster
12 Years
Jun 8, 2010
This baby is 29 hours old and will not put his foot down. I tried the band aid which didn't seem to help..just stuck to his hairy leg. I just want him to survive!!
59916_lame_chick.jpg

Can it be like a sprayed leg but up instead of out?

Do you have vet wrap? If so, cut it so that it is not very wide. Like 1/4 inch. Use a pencil or something round and not to big. Wrap one end of the vet wrap around the pencil so that it just meets the wrap around the pencil and then just squeeze it so that it sticks together. You now should have one little shackle. You need to do the same thing to the other end of the wrap. You want just enough room between each shakle so that it just give a little room between the legs to move.

You will slip one of the shackles onto the leg that he is having trouble with first. Then you want to get the good leg in the other shackle. Once you have both legs in the shackles you will pinch the wrap closed around the legs. you will then have to adjust the length of the wrap between both legs so that a little pressure is put on the foot that won't come down so that he will bring it down. You do this by just pinching little bits of the wrap together until you get the right length.

He won't like it an most likely won't walk at all for the day or until he gets used to it but when I had a sprayed button quail this is what I did and in a day he was walking and at the end of two weeks you wouldn't even know it was there he ran all over the place. When I took it off, his legs stayed perfect.

It took me several attempts to get it right, so have several shackles started so you don't have to stop and start again making the first loop.

When it is time to take it off, if it works, you will need tiny sissors that you can 1st cut the middle so the legs are free and then vey carefully cut the wrap from each leg.

I like vet wrap because it does not stick to the feather and it is streachy so it has some give and th birds don't feel so restrained. You can also pinch it to adjust and make the wrap skinny between the legs.

I hope this helps.

Tell me what vet wrap is and where to find it.. This sounds complicated, but is worth it if it works. Will let you know

Quote:
Vet wrap is a soft self adhearing tape. You can get it at any pharmacy but if you get it from a feed store it will most likely be cheaper. I pay $2.75 from my feed store and it is about $4 for a generic at the pharmacy.

It really is not as complicated as it sounds, but I wanted to give detailed instructions.

Go to this link to see pictures - it comes in different colors and sizes. Most stores only have the plain tan and you don't want red. (blood Color)

http://www.sitstay.com/dog/supplies...&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&ddkey=EGSearchData

Back
Top Bottom