Please tell me I finally have this figured out!

kimntep

Songster
9 Years
Dec 30, 2010
Ocala, Florida
Lighter-colored breeds with big, yellow legs are (usually?) cockerels and in the case of my black birds, the dark-washed legs are pullets and the lighter legs are cockerels - generally. Yes?

Lighter-colored breeds with big, yellow legs are (usually?) cockerels and in the case of my black birds, the dark-washed legs are pullets and the lighter legs are cockerels - generally. Yes?
No way. That is not a way to know the sex of your chickens!

I have many white birds with yellow legs........they are all hens. I also have black birds with yellow legs, black legs and all shades between, and they are hens and roosters.

Best way it to compare the size of the comb.......and listen for crowing.

I know that's not the only way. I should have been more specific. There's breeds in which hens have larger combs and wattles, for example, so that way doesn't always work, and there are late crowers..hence, the waiting is agonizing! I have EEs and a few that are supposed to be Auracanas, but I don't believe they are, then I have a couple of who-knows-whats. I've posted pics and didn't get much response. The wait continues..

In my four all-black birds, I don't notice much difference in comb size or color, feathers, and no crowing yet from any at about 14 wks or so, but one's legs are distinctly lighter in color, so I'm thinking that makes a difference in gender. No?

Back
Top Bottom