Please tell me I'm crazy

That's good to know! Is it likely the grey chick could be a mixed breed do you think?
I wouldn't think mixed breed bc as far as I know it Hoovers only has pure bred chicks, but TSC will put different breeds together in the pullet bin if it's not specified. The gray one will probably end up being a blue!

That's good to know! Is it likely the grey chick could be a mixed breed do you think?
Here are some pics of my blues. They are all around 4 months old. The first 2 are mixed breed but the last one (with the splash roo) is a bantam Cochin.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1441770041.jpg
    Snapchat-1441770041.jpg
    784.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Snapchat-1714101911.jpg
    Snapchat-1714101911.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Snapchat-151092074.jpg
    Snapchat-151092074.jpg
    761.6 KB · Views: 10
the gentleman helping us was very sure of himself and the information he gave us regarding breed and gender of the chicks so in my mind I felt like it was a done deal and what we were getting was what we were told we would end up with.
He may have been very sure of what was supposed to be in the bin, but my daughter and I have watched chicks at TS jump from one bin to the other. We were able to let an employee know about the escape artists and she moved them back to the original bin, but if no one is watching🤷‍♀️
Hopefully, you will be able to find out what breeds were in stock when you purchased your chicks. As to male or female, I don't have any experience with those breeds to be able tell. I am 6/6 on identifying my EE boys between 3-4 weeks old, but I looked at comb, legs and behavior compared to their sisters to decide who was what.

He may have been very sure of what was supposed to be in the bin, but my daughter and I have watched chicks at TS jump from one bin to the other. We were able to let an employee know about the escape artists and she moved them back to the original bin, but if no one is watching🤷‍♀️
Hopefully, you will be able to find out what breeds were in stock when you purchased your chicks. As to male or female, I don't have any experience with those breeds to be able tell. I am 6/6 on identifying my EE boys between 3-4 weeks old, but I looked at comb, legs and behavior compared to their sisters to decide who was what.
That's what I've been trying to do up tp this point. The wyandotte roo I just found out about yesterday, but the grey one I felt was roo-ish 2 or so weeks ago, which I KNOW is super early, but he just started holding himself higher than the other one that's supposed to be the same breed, and the comb has been more pronounced and I know that's not always the best way to determine but that's all I got right now lol

Here are some pics of my blues. They are all around 4 months old. The first 2 are mixed breed but the last one (with the splash roo) is a bantam Cochin.
They remind me of mine, or at least at this stage. Mystery chick had a brown spot on its head when it was a tiny chick that has since been replaced with little specks of developing black feathers. This was the day I brought them home at 2 days hatched. Neither of them had a white spot or splotch on their heads which is what made me think that maybe they're not cuckoo marans or may be mixed.

Attachments

• 20230505_174249.jpg
    20230505_174249.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 9
Could the gray one be a sapphire gem? I'd just look at Hoover's website and figure out which breeds they sell come in blue (gray). Match the comb type, feet and leg color, and you can narrow it down somewhat. I too think she looks like a pullet so far. Good luck!!!

Could the gray one be a sapphire gem? I'd just look at Hoover's website and figure out which breeds they sell come in blue (gray). Match the comb type, feet and leg color, and you can narrow it down somewhat. I too think she looks like a pullet so far. Good luck!!!
That's definitely one I've considered! I've combed over the chick photos over and over from them and other hatcheries in an effort to figure it out, but my best is like ok it's possibly a cuckoo marans, I guess
Or a sapphire gem
Or a mixed breed
Or maybe an australorp

😅😅 Too many gray chickens! Lol

That's definitely one I've considered! I've combed over the chick photos over and over from them and other hatcheries in an effort to figure it out, but my best is like ok it's possibly a cuckoo marans, I guess
Or a sapphire gem
Or a mixed breed
Or maybe an australorp

😅😅 Too many gray chickens! Lol
Hoovers doesn't sell blue australorps, and that chick is not a black australorp. Also, it's not a cuckoo marans - sorry. Sapphire gem, Blue Andalusian, blue orpington are possibilities. Just try and relax and enjoy your chick, and worry about it again in a couple weeks. :)

Hoovers does sell black australorps. I have 10 in the brooder from them!
Hoovers doesn't sell blue australorps, and that chick is not a black australorp. Also, it's not a cuckoo marans - sorry. Sapphire gem, Blue Andalusian, blue orpington are possibilities. Just try and relax and enjoy your chick, and worry about it again in a couple weeks. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230531_144116_Messages~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230531_144116_Messages~2.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom