Please tell me I'm wrong!

I have 2 roos and 14 adult hens & my girls get "gang-banged" all the time. Maybe it depends on the breed. My roos are Ameraucauna & my hens are all assorted breeds. All my eggs are fertile. In fact, they are due to hatch this weekend! I'm so excited!
My roosters are much more interested in making sure that none of the other roosters are being successful with mating...so nobody is actually mating anyone...they are too busy watching out for someone to try. The only rooster that doesn't have to chase down the hens and hold on for dear life is my big old White Rock...and still no fertility...I have seen the silkie do a flying across the coop ninja kick to unseat the big roo from off the hens...but that is as close as we get to chicken mating...Lol. And as I said all my eggs are infertile...or at least the 10 I gathered over that 3 days were all infertile...I thought I knew what to look for when cracking the eggs open, but it turns out I was apparently wrong...
I have a year old silkie roo, a really old White Rock, and a really young slightly larger than bantam sized barnyard mix cockerel that is around 6 months. Between the 3 of them my hens are seeing no action...except for watching the roosters chase each other around...
I luckily have 7 laying hens now, 4 of them the big roo isn't interested in...it seems the barnyard mix has them...the silkie gets left with nothing...we are soon going to eat the barnyard mix, even though my daughter protests...she says she likes his comb, which is a really interesting comb...it's like it is supposed to be a single comb, but it has numerous points, and only seems the front half of the comb is attached to his head..so it sticks up and waves around...It's weird looking..anyway she says she wanted his comb, but I told her it is part of the chicken and will get gross, so she says she wants to play with it before we throw it out...I told her she could hold his whole head, and she seems to be alright with that.

The first pic looks to be 2 roos, but the 2nd pic looks to be 3 roos. I am just going by color. Can you get chicks through a hatchery? Right now I have 14 chickens and 11 different breeds! I like variety. Haha! I hope everything goes well for you. :)

Edit: I didn't see the next 2 pages, but now I am with you in thinking 4 are roos. Bummer. :(

Last edited:
I personally think you have 4 pullets and 2 cockerels judging from the "bird's eye" pick. I'm judging solely on the shape of the tail feathers, as I don't think coloring is as sex-related in most feed store chicks as it is in breeder chicks. And not size of the feathering or speed of the feathering either. I keep Wyandottes and everyone says the females feather faster, but I quickly learned a feisty cockerel will still feather as fast as a docile pullet just because of his dominace and food intake.

Starting from 12 o'clock and going clockwise: Chick 1: Pullet, 2: Cockerel, 3: Pullet, 4: Pullet, 5: Pullet?, 6: Cockerel.

Well, mine doesn't look like that...
Good! I hope that means you have a pullet!! If you are in the market for a cockerel, I have three extras...

lau.gif
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom