Please tell me it gets better

Matty21

Chirping
May 14, 2023
Hi all in my 8 months of keeping chickens I’ve been having it tough I lost 2 new girls when I got them I put it down to stress of the move. But lately I’ve got a speckled and she was doing something with her neck i now put it down to adjusting it but as time went on I *think* it sour crop so I put her on 3 blobs of daktarin her crop sounds of water now she’s hardly eating although she had some scrambled egg this morning I don’t want to cull her if I can avoid it. And then yesterday big momma she is my favourite of them all she started getting bubbles in her eyes where do I go from here having rotten luck at the moment :( first pictures is big momma and the girl with the bad crop

Attachments

• F128C750-3E15-4AE6-949F-2B89F10440F7.jpeg
    F128C750-3E15-4AE6-949F-2B89F10440F7.jpeg
    478.5 KB · Views: 30
  • E029D343-DEC6-4E4A-838D-FD9F28F09AE4.jpeg
    E029D343-DEC6-4E4A-838D-FD9F28F09AE4.jpeg
    733.9 KB · Views: 12
It sounds like you have a respiratory issue in your flock. Here in the US people can buy Tylan. If I recall from your intro, you are in the UK?
I'm not sure what medication would be available.
I'm not good with medical issues but I'll tag someone who is.
@Eggcessive
@azygous
Can either of you help?

When you bring home adult chickens, they are often faced with parasites in the soil being different from what they've developed resistance to where they came from. This can cause sickness and death. Call around to feed stores and ask for a coccidiostat.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/ This will help you diagnose possible crop disorders.
The ones that are ill came off the same area they were my neighbours hens he moved away so they moved about 500 yards on my allotment

I would feel of the crop early in the morning and tell us if it has emptied overnight. If it is still full and firm, doughy, or puffy-soft, then there is something going on with the crop. Does she have a bad odor from her beak when you press gently on her crop? The foamy eye may be a sign of possible MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum,) a chronic respiratory disease. She may have come to you as a carrier, and the stress has triggered an outbreak. Your vet may order an antibiotic, such as Tylosin or oxytetracycline to treat.

I would also treat her legs with vaseline twice a week, since she looks to have scaly leg mites.

Offer her electrolytes and buy some VetRx, warm it up, and smear it all over her nostrils, 3 drops down the throat, all over the head, and under the wings, all before bedtime. Seperate her from flockmates.

I would feel of the crop early in the morning and tell us if it has emptied overnight. If it is still full and firm, doughy, or puffy-soft, then there is something going on with the crop. Does she have a bad odor from her beak when you press gently on her crop? The foamy eye may be a sign of possible MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum,) a chronic respiratory disease. She may have come to you as a carrier, and the stress has triggered an outbreak. Your vet may order an antibiotic, such as Tylosin or oxytetracycline to treat.

I would also treat her legs with vaseline twice a week, since she looks to have scaly leg mites.
She’s under treatment for scaly leg but it’s hard to get it to go. The last few days her crop sounds like it sloshing with water we have been given her daktarin 3 blobs a day she had a little food tonight. She’s very lethargic

The Daktarin is equivalent to miconazole, an antifugal used for sour crop. Are you also offering some wet mushy chicken feed and egg? She does need some nutrition (no whole grains or seeds,) and plenty of water. Vitamins and electrolytes may be needed if she is not eating well.

Back
Top Bottom