Please, tell me some sweet rooster stories!

Tina D

Songster
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
Dutchess County, NY
I've been reading about how roosters are so protective and take care of their hens. Honestly, they sound like such little gentlemen in some of these posts. Tell me, tell me! I won't be able to keep a rooster of my own, so I'll have to settle for stories... Make me say, "Awwwww!"

Well my RIR roo was rather big so he wasnt allowed with his girls. So he took me as his lady! if he found something in the yard he would bring it to me and do a little dane and drop it in my hand! i always gave him his prize back(i prefer not to eat spiders and worms). Did you know that when a roo does that you are his favorite!

Here is a Picture: his name is HB but i had to get rid of him:hit
46547_hb_3.jpg

I was in the chicken shed last week at dusk, just doing some tidying up. Carrot my cockerel who was roosting with his ladies, stood up, looked around and then ran outside. I followed him outside to see what was going on. He'd gone out to look for one of his hens who was still outside scratching about. He then accompanied her back inside the shed.

He's fierce about hawks too. I have a lot of goshawks flying around over the chicken runs. When he sees/hears one, he'll crow so that his ladies know about the danger and take cover. Carrot then flares up his hackles and puffs out his chest and generally makes a lot of noise. He has killed two hawks already this year after they swooped into the run (it's not covered).

He's not as gentlemanly as other roos I've read about, he doesn't bring his hens food or gifts, but he's not rough with them either.

He'll sit on my knee or shoulder too.

This is my newest roo Vulcan (not nearly as ugly as his name suggests) He's suppsoed to be pure Ameraucana but he has silver lacing on is neck
roll.png
He's a nice guy though and I don't care about that. He's quite a gentleman and has taken on gaurding the nest boxes as his personal responsibility. He won't let the other roosters near it even though he isn't very dominant.

Here he is inspecting the basket
53430_march2011_004.jpg

and now he will keep it warm until a hen comes to lay.

53430_march2011_002.jpg

Best Rooster ever- Hannibal- i know right so opposite from the name- loving and gentle , he would let me rock him like a baby , eyes slowlly getting heavy... he was a snuggler.... he never once pecked or attacked anything or anybody except the one really mean rooster who of course was always making a scene with one of the hens . and even so he enjoyed chasing him at like a jogging pace around the yard instead of actually fighting him. most of the time the mean rooster just stayed away from the gals because he knew hannibal was watching........he was the best rooster ever , and the most handsome- he was a buff splash silkie. it was a devastating day when i found him in our yard , i could not believe that he passed away and not the other nasty rooster ..

as far as his awesome personality , i really think it had something to do with the way he was raised- (our first chicken experience) he was raised in the house until he was about 6 months old - handled all day every day. i sure wish he was still around today
sad.png

Ooh, I've been threw quite some generations of chickens, so I have quite a few stories of sweet roosters! Let's see...

One of the sweetest roosters we ever had was Greg (Grey for short). I'm not quite sure what he was, he was like a beardless Araucana (SP? momentary memory loss
tongue.png
)
Anyway, he crowed, but that was about the only roosterly thing he did, other than trying to feed us bugs and chicken feed
lol.png
He was a yard chicken, he ran loose on all our 2 acres, but he mainly stayed near us. When we were outside he would follow us around, and see if we had anything for him to eat, and if we ever sat down, he would jump in our lap and cuddle us. When we were inside, he would set himself down near the door and wait for us (such a cutie!) But if I remember correctly (I was really young when we had him) he got sick and fire-ants got a-hold of him and he died
sad.png
I'll always miss him.

Another one is my big baby Vinny. He's a white Wayandotte rooster and he's got about 5-6 hens all to himself. But he's always waiting for one of us to come outside and spend time with him. As soon as you get in the pen he comes right up and chatters away at you, he lets me pick him up and holds his little face close to mine so I can kiss his cheek. And every time I leave he lays down at the gate, I'm not quite sure what it means, but it's very similar to when a rooster gets in the hen's nest and sings to her to lay an egg
lol.png

Then there is Leopold. He is a Road Island Red and Cornish mix. He's a really big boy, but he's gorgeous and he knows it. He struts around and when he sees me coming to visit him, he jumps up on his gate and waits for me to pet him and give him a kiss before he jumps back in the pen (He never actually gets out). He's not too big on being held, but that may be because he's so huge it's kind of uncomfortable, haha. He does love being petted though
smile.png

I know I have tons more stories, but I don't want to take over and some of them are just too sad.
I hope you enjoyed the ones I posted though
smile.png

Awww! Great stories! I love the thought of a tough ol' rooster being a softie at heart!
love.gif

ILoveChickies, please, by all means tell me some more! And are you serious when you say roosters will "sing" to a hen to lay an egg???!!

Yeah, my RIR rooster, Brewster sings the egg song to encourage his hens to lay. He has three, and all three lay almost every day. Then I have a Jersey Giant rooster who finds bugs or other tidbits, then he finds his hen and offers it to her. Some roosters make a certain cluck to let the hens know there is something good to eat. My neighbors rooster, a light brahma, died trying to defend his hens from a hawk:'(

These are wonderful stories
smile.png
I hope to have some roosters of my own someday...hopefully there will be at least a few as sweet as yours!

Quote:
Yes, they do. All my roosters will, and they will get the nest warm for her too
smile.png
I might have to get a little video of my rooster Vinny trying to get me to lay an egg before I leave his pen, lol XD

My sister used to have a little Milly Fleur cross rooster that followed her around everywhere, his name was Oats. He even cried when she was gone and when she came back he would come running and jump in her lap
smile.png

Right now we have these 2 little baby roosters, one is a Langshan and the other is some interesting patterned red Cochin, but whenever I have them out playing and I am sitting down watching them, if one of the dogs bark; the Langshan roo comes running like his tail's on fire and hides under me as far as he can XD And the little Cochin roo puffs up and runs at the dog!

Which also reminded me of another story, my rooster Vinny got out one day not too long ago. And my sister Sierra has a dog named Angel, she's a Catahoula so it's natural for her to herd things. Well, she has this habit that whenever she sees a chicken out of it's pen when no one let it out, she will go after it, and get it caught in some corner so someone can catch it (Or just chase it back into it's pen) well, she thought she'd go out there and show Vinny what for and nip at him a little for getting out...Boy, was she surprised! That rooster got offended that she would dare think she could scare him and he stood his ground and puffed his neck out, Angel isn't used to this so she just stood back and barked. When she barked, he ran right at her and he was after her all over the yard, lmao! My sister had to get out there and catch him and put him up before he laid into her dog, lol. It was priceless.

Back
Top Bottom