Well...this some sad news...

GlowBean

Chirping
Dec 16, 2023
Pa, United states
I apologize for keep posting in one day, it's just a very crazy saturday.

I've been wanting to breed my own chickens for a few years now though I might need to give away Shotgun, my dad kept telling me "were able to keep him as long he's quiet" then my dad turning into "No we can't keep him, he's going to cause destruction like T-rex did" (Btw T-rex was our bantam rooster that was highly aggressive and needed to be killed) and my dad is highly strict on if were able to keep him. If we can't hear him from the porch were able to keep him, if he's very loud we can't keep him. Here are my ideas. 1: If he's highly aggressive & loud I will be needing to say goodbye to him and feed him to the dog. 2: If he's loud though very sweet we can rehome him. I'll give you guys updates, if I'm able to keep my silly rooster. I'm hoping that we can keep him, though if he's loud & sweet I can rehome him. I have good news! Were hoping to make a big backyard area for our chickens and if people need to they can rehome the chickens to us! They'll be in good care! Though I will warn you before your able to rehome the chickens to us were still building the massive backyard chicken area, it might take another early spring or 2 in order to finish it up!
Anyway, stay hydrated & stay safe!

Last edited:
Good luck with your project! Just keep in mind to make sure that you have enough quarantine space for any new chickens that come in, and that integrating new flock members can be stressful.
Alright thank you for the advice! I didn't think of that for some reason. That's alright! Thank you for letting me know I'm going to be making some chicken plans, where to put the quartining chickens, breeds, etc.

Has Shotgun ever demonstrated aggressive behavior towards you? If not and all he's doing is crowing, he is simply demonstrating his natural behavior. If crowing is a major problem, I would suggest refraining from keeping anymore roosters. Hens can also be vocal, which is something to consider if you're thinking about adding more birds. In any event, please don't feed him to the dog. Offer him for free to someone who will either keep him, or if he is in fact aggressive, humanely butcher him.

Best wishes with your birds!

Has Shotgun ever demonstrated aggressive behavior towards you? If not and all he's doing is crowing, he is simply demonstrating his natural behavior. If crowing is a major problem, I would suggest refraining from keeping anymore roosters. Hens can also be vocal, which is something to consider if you're thinking about adding more birds. In any event, please don't feed him to the dog. Offer him for free to someone who will either keep him, or if he is in fact aggressive, humanely butcher him.

Best wishes with your birds!
Alright thank you for the advice! He has shown a little bit aggression to his other friends (that's the same age as him and they're all female, I don't know about Gunpowder though she's starting to act like a rooster hen if that makes any sense?). The only time he shown "aggression" at me he was bluffing (He wasn't attacking me not even my boot). I'm hoping that makes sense, though the reason why I came up with the idea of butchering (we do this humanely) is because I don't want anyone else getting hurt because of him. I will be giving an update if were able to keep him or not, if he is sweet just loud were going to be rehoming him.

Alright thank you for the advice! He has shown a little bit aggression to his other friends (that's the same age as him and they're all female, I don't know about Gunpowder though she's starting to act like a rooster hen if that makes any sense?). The only time he shown "aggression" at me he was bluffing (He wasn't attacking me not even my boot). I'm hoping that makes sense, though the reason why I came up with the idea of butchering (we do this humanely) is because I don't want anyone else getting hurt because of him. I will be giving an update if were able to keep him or not, if he is sweet just loud were going to be rehoming him.
Gotcha. It is normal for some squabbles as they mature as hormones start kicking in and they begin to sort out their pecking order. You are absolutely right in culling any bird that demonstrates over-aggression. I commend you for making that difficult but sound decision when you have to. This is good flock management in practice, especially if you're wanting to get into breeding. Aggression can be genetic, and that's something you certainly don't want in your gene pool. I hope your expansion project takes off and you get to where you want to be with your birds--including developing new breeds!

Back
Top Bottom