Please tell me someone has done this before....

dodgewoman

Songster
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
Or I think I may just go cry in a corner for a long time. I feel like a horrible chick killer already as I helped a chick hatch out on Saturday not realizing you almost never help one hatch, it didn't make the night. Well, today while I was out my husband boiled up some eggs to make egg salad. He goes and cracks them and one had a formed chick inside! Dear God! How did I manage to grab the broody hens egg and not the others?! She currently has 3 baby chicks she's mothering. She could have had 4 :( I feel like a horrible chick killer right now! I still don't know how I managed to do this!

Well don't feel bad. I id this once on accident. When we were trying the whole egg selling business ( that was a big flop ) my silkie went broody. I tried letting her hatch some eggs in the corner of the coop. The issue was the others would kick her off and lay their eggs their. Well one day one must of rolled out and I assumed it was just one that the layers laid on the floor. Well later that night my parents hard boiled some eggs and there were eyes starting at them
sickbyc.gif
. Never feels good to know you're the one responsible for a death but it happens.

Thanks! I think this is what may have happened to me as well. She had so many under her at one point some would roll away. She was pretty good about getting them back but I just have gotten to it before she did and didn't bother to candle it! No, it doesn't feel good and for some reason I've made now 3 mistakes in a very short time that resulted in my chicks death, sigh. Although, I dugout I will ever make them again!

If you had to help the chick hatch,it's likely that it was too weak to hatch on its own and would have died anyway. So, at least you gave it a chance. Next time you have a broody, mark the eggs she's hatching so you will know which ones to leave under her. Or make it so the other hens don't have access to her nest. Now take a deep breath, chalk these things up to experience, and go enjoy your chickens. Just like everything else in life, this chicken raising thing is an ongoing lesson.

Back
Top Bottom