Please tell me this isn’t mareks....

EmmaRainboe

🙄🤚💙Duckie💜😩🤚
Jul 30, 2020
Washington
My favorite chicken, about 20 weeks started limping 5 days ago, she’s been separated. At first I thought it was an injury but I’m not sure anymore and I am panicking. I’ve been a bawling mess at the thought of losing my little Poshy 😭 Is there any chance this could be something else???

I would supplement the B vitamins for a while, see if that helps. You can use a human B complex tablet or capsule, mix in some moistened feed every day. I do see some weakness in the left leg, hard to say the cause, but vitamin deficiencies are not uncommon and can have odd neuromuscular symptoms sometimes. You can add a vitamin E capsule (400iu) with a bit of cooked egg or tuna for selenium also to cover all the bases. Did you examine the leg for any swelling or abnormalities? Sprains and strains are not uncommon, from landing wonky or getting hung up somewhere.

I would supplement the B vitamins for a while, see if that helps. You can use a human B complex tablet or capsule, mix in some moistened feed every day. I do see some weakness in the left leg, hard to say the cause, but vitamin deficiencies are not uncommon and can have odd neuromuscular symptoms sometimes. You can add a vitamin E capsule (400iu) with a bit of cooked egg or tuna for selenium also to cover all the bases. Did you examine the leg for any swelling or abnormalities? Sprains and strains are not uncommon, from landing wonky or getting hung up somewhere.
There wasn't any swelling from what I could tell. When I was feeling her leg, when I touched two parts, one above her knee and one on her ankle she would yank her leg back, but I'm not sure if those spots hurt or if she just didn't like me touching her leg. I did start giving her B vitamins incase there was something wrong. I'll see if I can start giving her some E vitamin also. There is a slightly pink spot on her ankle but I'm again not sure if that is just her leg or not.
IMG_1187.jpg

also she has been eating A LOT today like way more than usual, is that a sign of a vitamin deficiency? Also thank you so much for responding I've been sat here waiting impatiently for people to respond lol 😂

Hard to say why she's eating more. Maybe was not getting adequate access to feeders and was hungry, maybe was feeling bad and now is feeling better and eating to make up for lost time, maybe just a piggy. I would do the vitamins, give her some time, see if you get some improvement. Just because there is no swelling doesn't mean something might not be sore.

Possibly, if it was pressing on the sciatic nerve, as said before. Time will tell. I would still do the vitamins, give her some time and see how it goes. If she lays an egg, and then get's better, then you will know. That she is eating and drinking well, are good signs.

Back
Top Bottom