Please tell me this isn't a roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stone_family3, Aug 16, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Violet is about 6 1/2 weeks old and all the chicks looked like her but some had bright pink combs and she didn't. The breeder told me he was fairly sure it was a girl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eight weeks
    [​IMG]
    IMAG0463 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  2. wdc1952

wdc1952 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2009
    Kearney, Missouri
    To me, it looks like you have a partridge cochin cockeral. The wattles are already starting to show.
    But only time will yield additional aid in identifying the sex especially with feathering.
    Didnt ask, but is this chick a large fowl or bantam?

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    What breed is s/he? I'd like to say it's a pullet, but the pink wattles and the comb being slightly pink makes me a tad bit doubtful. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  4. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    According to the fine people on BYC it's a Partridge Cochin. As I stated all of the chicks the breeder had (about 100) looked just like except some had bright pink and others her color of comb.

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Often a less dominate cockerel will not show his "boyness" until much older OR until taken away from the dominate cockerel(s) it lives with.

I tend to lean towards cockerel with your little one. [​IMG]

6. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Nuts, I'll have to rehome him as well. This sucks I need a house in the middle of no-where where I can live rooster proud [​IMG]

7. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    How long will it take before I know for sure? Also how big would it get when it's full grown? Are they really loud when they crow?

8. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I hear my neighbor's roo all the time - and I haven't yet located where he lives. I just know he's not in the surrounding 2 blocks; he may live in the trailer park about 100yds away. So yeah, I'd say they're loud. Especially if you have neighbors who like to sleep past dawn.

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yes he's a cute little Patridge Cochin. I wouldn't get rid of him just yet, but I am leaning towards boy for this one. Sorry if that's bad news [​IMG] On the plus side, I've never had trouble re-homing my cochin boys on Craigslist. Just post a pic when he mostly feathers out, and he'll be too adorable to resist!

By the way, all my cochin boys started crowing around 8 to 10 weeks, if that helps.

10. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    If this roo is a partridge cochin how big will it get? Will it get as big as a barred x?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by