Please tell me this isn't a roo

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
Violet is about 6 1/2 weeks old and all the chicks looked like her but some had bright pink combs and she didn't. The breeder told me he was fairly sure it was a girl.

Violet.jpg

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Eight weeks

IMAG0463 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

Last edited:
To me, it looks like you have a partridge cochin cockeral. The wattles are already starting to show.
But only time will yield additional aid in identifying the sex especially with feathering.
Didnt ask, but is this chick a large fowl or bantam?

What breed is s/he? I'd like to say it's a pullet, but the pink wattles and the comb being slightly pink makes me a tad bit doubtful.
hmm.png

Last edited:
According to the fine people on BYC it's a Partridge Cochin. As I stated all of the chicks the breeder had (about 100) looked just like except some had bright pink and others her color of comb.

Nuts, I'll have to rehome him as well. This sucks I need a house in the middle of no-where where I can live rooster proud
sad.png

How long will it take before I know for sure? Also how big would it get when it's full grown? Are they really loud when they crow?

I hear my neighbor's roo all the time - and I haven't yet located where he lives. I just know he's not in the surrounding 2 blocks; he may live in the trailer park about 100yds away. So yeah, I'd say they're loud. Especially if you have neighbors who like to sleep past dawn.

Yes he's a cute little Patridge Cochin. I wouldn't get rid of him just yet, but I am leaning towards boy for this one. Sorry if that's bad news
sad.png
On the plus side, I've never had trouble re-homing my cochin boys on Craigslist. Just post a pic when he mostly feathers out, and he'll be too adorable to resist!

By the way, all my cochin boys started crowing around 8 to 10 weeks, if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom