Please tell me this isn't serious.

Q9

General Headache
13 Years
Jun 22, 2009
The Sovereign State of NC
Went out to take care of the hens this morning, and I tossed them a piece of bread to distract them while I refilled their food. I do that every time. After filling their food, I went around to watch them bicker and noticed that one of them just sorta stood there with her mouth open. Didn't think much about it, and caught a convenient bug for them to eat. Put it in there - the chicken was laying down, mouth still open, and she ignored the bug. She seemed to be breathing heavily, and kept squinting her eyes like she was in pain.

Any idea if this is a problem or not? Because I would like to know as quickly as possible.

Have you wormed your birds yet. It's been so wet here I had to do it and have to do it more often. Could be gape worm but not sure of course. Anyhow you gotta be prepared and treat them anyhow. Can't hurt and might help.

An ounce of prevention and all that jazz.

Let us know how it goes.

Rancher

Has she had her mouth open a lot lately? It could be gapeworms, but I don't know if that would explain the lying down or the pain.

hmm.png
Sorry if I'm wrong, I'm still a fledgeling flock owner myself.

This is the first time she's had her mouth hanging open like this, with the exception of high summer, when they ALL start panting.

Write2caroline - how would olive oil help? And how would I give it to her?

Last edited:
I think the bread hypothesis may be correct - her wattles and the red on her face have turned pale. Could stuck bread cut off blood circulation to any degree?

Okay, looks like the olive oil helped. We put her back in the coop, and she stood up and started drinking from the water bottle. I'm going to go check on her again in a few minutes.

Thanks for the help, y'all!

Back
Top Bottom