Please tell me what breed he is..

weesy68

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Stratford CT
I rescued this handsome boy from a vivero or live poultry market, he was destined to be slaughtered. Live poultry market cater to mostly immigrants who prefer their meat very fresh, older hens who are considered past prime laying age end up here as 'soup' chickens. I got one young rooster, and one old hen, who now lays an egg daily I should add. There's nothing like seeing a terrified mistreated bird turn into a happy member of a free range flock who loves to dust bath and chase cats, lol.

30192_dsc_0156.jpg

30192_dsc_0177.jpg

This is when i got him and his 'wife'
30192_dsc_1349.jpg

They now sleep in a dog crate in my kitchen every night (due to complaining neighbors) and join my other girls after 9am every day.

I'll take a stab at it. By the bright red (as opposed to dark red) of his feathers & green-black tail, I'll guess he's a New Hampshire Red. I could be wrong. Even if he's a mutt, he sure is handsome... and lucky! Good for you on your rescue!
thumbsup.gif

Sorry, I'm not familiar with his breed, just a comment on the change from rescue to now. Very impressive!! You are doing everything right. What a beautiful roo.
thumbsup.gif

I googled photos of New Hampshire Reds and there's no doubt that's what he is. Thanks for the tip! Solved that mystery. He is huge, must be at least fifteen pounds.

Back
Top Bottom