Please tell me what could be wrong!

Yardfarm Family

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 24, 2012
Mchenry County, Il
One of my RIR pullets, 23 weeks old and no eggs yet has been acting sleepy all day. The coop and pen are right outside a window so Ive seen her just drop her head and fall asleep kind of like a new chick does. Should I be worried?? As you can tell I already am. She has been on Organic Layer for a week or 2, clear eyes, bright red wattle, clean &clear vent. The other 9 seem active, it's just her and she seems really sleepy. I just went in with scratch and plain yogurt and she jumped in the feeding frenzy but when I went inside she went back to her sleepy self. Is there something I could jump on incase this is the start of an illness? Some superfood that could keep her in good health. My motherinlaw was over a few days ago and she has a few hens. She went in the pen for about a minute to see my girls and now I'm freaking out she could have brought some strain of something over. Please any and all responses appreciated, Claire

One of my RIR pullets, 23 weeks old and no eggs yet has been acting sleepy all day. The coop and pen are right outside a window so Ive seen her just drop her head and fall asleep kind of like a new chick does. Should I be worried?? As you can tell I already am. She has been on Organic Layer for a week or 2, clear eyes, bright red wattle, clean &clear vent. The other 9 seem active, it's just her and she seems really sleepy. I just went in with scratch and plain yogurt and she jumped in the feeding frenzy but when I went inside she went back to her sleepy self. Is there something I could jump on incase this is the start of an illness? Some superfood that could keep her in good health. My motherinlaw was over a few days ago and she has a few hens. She went in the pen for about a minute to see my girls and now I'm freaking out she could have brought some strain of something over. Please any and all responses appreciated, Claire
That is a hard one. It could be she is just tired or not feeling well. If it continues it could be a whole host of things. Check her for mites, which you can usually see when you lift the wings in the bald area where the wings meet the body. Check her vent too for discoloration, buldging, or pasty butt. See if you can look at her poop. Is her nose running? is she sneezing? Her eyes watery or glassy? Is she drinking a lot or not at all?

I have checked her over for mites, lice- nothing, her vent had a smudge of poop but otherwise looked fine. Although I was giving her back a scratch when she was squatting this morning and her vent did look kind of bulged then. She is roosting with the others right now. Should I give her Apple cider vinegar? Could her first egg be stuck? She has been squatting for a week and very red comb and wattles.This is my first flock that I am really attached to and will be so sad if I even loose one. I just got my first 5 eggs from 2 girls since Saturday. They are so pampered and everything has been great so far...so this sucks

I have checked her over for mites, lice- nothing, her vent had a smudge of poop but otherwise looked fine. Although I was giving her back a scratch when she was squatting this morning and her vent did look kind of bulged then. She is roosting with the others right now. Should I give her Apple cider vinegar? Could her first egg be stuck? She has been squatting for a week and very red comb and wattles.This is my first flock that I am really attached to and will be so sad if I even loose one. I just got my first 5 eggs from 2 girls since Saturday. They are so pampered and everything has been great so far...so this sucks
it is possible she could be egg bound. Here is a link to several posts and articles on this site dealing with egg bound hens. You can look through them and see if any of their symptoms and solutions may fit your situation. https://www.backyardchickens.com/search.php?search=egg+bound

Was her comb and wattle not that red before? RIR's tend to lay large eggs, so she may be trying to lay one a bit too big for her first time. I know nothing about apple cider vinegar and chickens. If she starts showing other or new symptoms tomorrow let us know. Is she squatting and acting like she is straining frequently?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom