Please tell me what it is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mysweetgypsy, Aug 16, 2011.

1. mysweetgypsy

mysweetgypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I'm hoping someone can tell me what this is? Breed and sex? I know what I was told I was buying, but now I want to know what I really got [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's about 18 weeks, has not crowed or layed, sometimes acts like a hen, sometimes acts like a roo-just to screw with me [​IMG] It has very green legs [​IMG]
    Thanks

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's an Easter Egger. I can't really see the saddle feathers well enough to tell the sex for sure, but definite EE.

3. mysweetgypsy

May 1, 2011
    Here's a different view. It's in the middle. Saddle feathers?

[​IMG]

4. speckledhen

Sort of looks hen-ish to me. This is an Ameraucana rooster I used to have--see the very pointy saddle feathers hanging off the back in front of the tail? Hens' feathers there are more rounded, not pointy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. mysweetgypsy

May 1, 2011
    I love you!! [​IMG] I was so sure this was a roo, it was sold to me in a pair of Ameraucana "pullets". The other had a disableing condition and she died yesterday. This one really took care of her, kind of like a roo. But in her last couple days this ones behavior changed a lot! It started acting like a hen all the sudden, which threw the rest of the coop off, now everyone is acting wierd. Thanks for you input!!

6. speckledhen

Well, I hope I'm right. Sometimes, Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas can be harder to sex and some will fool you, but I don't really see anything that makes me think yours is a male right now. I've had a few late bloomers fool me, but not usually as late as 18 weeks old, if you are really sure of the age.

7. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I think it's an EE pullet too. [​IMG]

8. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Definitely an EE. It looks like a pullet, but those darker reddish patches on the wings are throwing me off. The feathers don't look really shiny, but I thought that if there were reddish patches then it was a roo. [​IMG] I'm still fairly new at this, but none of my girls have reddish feathers on them. They all have that orangy brown color though.

9. mysweetgypsy

May 1, 2011
    So glad I posted the pics here [​IMG] I'm sure of the age, I got the pair as day old chicks. I hope everyone is correct [​IMG] I was SO looking forward to some colorful eggs. Thanks!

10. speckledhen

Just let us know when you get an egg or it crows, LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by