please tell me what kind of chickens i have.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by greenlightjay, Aug 12, 2013.

1. greenlightjay

greenlightjay New Egg

Jan 22, 2012
    [​IMG]

2. Elzy

Elzy Out Of The Brooder

I cannot be sure but possibly they are Orpington's. I could be completely wrong, but just a guess by the colourings and feathers.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    well you've got some black, some white and some beige - there you go. [​IMG]

you could post photos on "what gender or breed is this?"

4. Elzy

Elzy Out Of The Brooder

Greenlightjay? do you know what breed their mum or dad were?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  5. greenlightjay

greenlightjay New Egg

Jan 22, 2012
    No I don't, we ordered them from Meyers nursery as "brown egg layers". Guess we could give them a call but they may just randomly choose chicks.

6. Elzy

Elzy Out Of The Brooder

Okay will that helps more, if the breed is a brown egg layer then it will most likely be one if the following breed of chicken:

Australorp

Red Star/ Black Star

Rhode Island Red

White Giants

Black Giants

White Orpington

Buff Orpington

Buff Rocks

These are the breeds that look most like the picture of your chickens :) Hope it helped.

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    The yellow ones look to be Buff Orpingtons
    The white ones will be White Giants if they have long tails or White Rocks if their tails are shorter and fluffy like the Buffs

The black ones....I can't tell in the photo, but if they have any red interlaced in their feathers (red bleed through) they will be your Black Stars
    If all black...then they are your Austrolopes...which is what I am guessing as I am not seeing obvious red bleed through
    If they get really big in size, they will be Black Jersey Giants

They also all look to be pullets (the ones with their heads facing the camera or giving a nice profile shot).

Lady of McCamley

8. Elzy

Elzy Out Of The Brooder

I would say that is correct :) I was thinking about the same thing :)

9. greenlightjay

greenlightjay New Egg

Jan 22, 2012
    Well, they look like Buff Orpingtons, White Rocks, and Austrolopes. I get to keep 8 and need to give 18 to a friend. Any recommendations on which ones to keep? Thank you all for your input.

10. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    It depends on what you want to keep them for. Orps tend to be friendly and often pet like even if that is what you want but are not grain efficient layers...ie they eat a lot for the eggs they give....but they get heavier and are considered dual purpose for meat and eggs. The others are better keepers and layers so if egg quantity is your goal the others would likely be better.
    my experiences anyway.
    Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by