Please, Thelma needs help

ILoveJoe

Songster
11 Years
Jun 28, 2008
Northern Kentucky
On Sunday morning I noticed that Thelma was just not herself, she didn't jump into the feed pan as I placed it on the ground, she just stood there looking at me, then jumped back on the perch. BIG RED FLAG.

I got an extra dog kennel out of the barn and cleaned it out, placed some fresh straw in it and put Thelma in the laundry room.

I gave her fresh water, she drank several times, but showed no interest in the scrambled egg. She roosted down and later that afternoon I found an egg.

Before I went to work Monday I let her out of the kennel and she walked around the laundry room then produced this:

DSC_0020-6.jpg

She drank some more but has not eaten that I have seen since sometime Saturday. I can't get her to drink today.

Several times I have noticed her gaping her beak as if something is in her throat, she has only done this in my prescense about 4 times and I tried to look down her throat today but wasn't too succesful at it.

Her neck almost feels like it is twisted to the side and her crop is warm and watery feeling. It is NOT full or impacted. I have massaged it and it seems to bring her some discomfort so I stopped, but massaging it produced some airy sounds.

Here is how she is standing hunched over in the cage and ontop of the dog food container:

DSC_0002-8.jpg

DSC_0005-7.jpg

Does this sound neurological?

Does anyone have any familiarity with any of these symptoms?

What should I do??

I'm sorry I don't have advice.
I hope you can get her fixed up soon. I have to tell you how cute I thought the last pic was with your cat in the back ground. It looks like your cat is stalking her.
wink.png

there is a condition that vitamins can help, if she is holding her neck to the side It is vitamin e and poly vi sol childrens vit. no iron but I don' know the dosage/
Anyone?

I just went to check on her and let her out of the kennel, she stood a moment then released this:

DSC_00011.jpg

The black spot was very tarry looking when I wiped it up with a paper towel.

When I picked her up to put her back in the kennel, some liquid came out of her mouth, very watery and a few drops hit the floor.

Candace that looks awful, there is a place First State Vet. Supply and a Dr. Brown will talk to you I have a phone # if you want it he has helped me more than once . 1-800-950-8387

I believe the watery poop is from her only getting water and no or little food. I don't know what her exact illness would be. I would give her some drops of poly-vi-sol in her beak, 3 drops and put some in her water. Try force feeding her some scrambled eggs or warm canned dog food.
How long has been since she layed ?
Do you feel anything on her underside?
Has she been around anything that could be toxic?
Has she lost weight in a fast manner?
When was she last wormed?

I believe the watery poop is from her only getting water and no or little food. I don't know what her exact illness would be. I would give her some drops of poly-vi-sol in her beak, 3 drops and put some in her water. Try force feeding her some scrambled eggs or warm canned dog food.

How do you force feed a chicken?

How long has been since she layed ?

Her last egg was on Sunday after I put her in the house.

Do you feel anything on her underside?

It is full and soft, like all the other layers undersides.

Has she been around anything that could be toxic? On Saturday hubby cleaned the sidewalk and threw down fertilizer to melt the snow. I may have inadvertently tracked some into the coop that night and often the hens peck the snow off my boots, so she may have ingested some nitrates.

Has she lost weight in a fast manner?

She has not lost weight.

When was she last wormed?

She is 8 months old and never wormed

Ms. Lewis Rich :

Candace that looks awful, there is a place First State Vet. Supply and a Dr. Brown will talk to you I have a phone # if you want it he has helped me more than once . 1-800-950-8387

Karen, Thank you! This is the EE hen that layed the misshapen egg that didn't go in the incubator.

I just spoke with him and I also emailed him this topic's link.

He feels she is an internal layer and offered advice if I really wanted to try to save her which I am going to try.

Hubby is picking up tubing on his way home from work and I am going to try to force feed her a slurry of ingredients he suggested.​

I was wondering if you could share with us the advice he gave?

Hope your girl recovers!

Back
Top Bottom