Please vote: Pygmys or Nigerian Dwarfs?

legacyln

Songster
11 Years
Mar 18, 2008
Jefferson City, MO
You might have read some of my ramblings here about how I'm planning to get two goats in a few months when my husband gets my goat housing built. At first I planned to get two pygmys, but then.... I read a little about Nigerian dwarfs, and started contemplating them instead... So I just don't know, and I know there are some knowledgeable goat people here so I thought I'd ask for your input.

My primary objective in getting the goats at this time is for pets. I love the dwarf breeds for the cuteness factor. On looks alone, I also love the long-eared larger goats breeds like Boers and Nubians. We have 18 acres but it is wooded and hilly (oak/hickory forest) and not all fenced, so we're going to fence half an acre for the goats. For practical purposes (cost of fencing and feed) it makes more sense to get a mini breed. I anticipate that I will eventually want to have more goats and could potentially see myself wanting to milk a doe or two to make cheese and yogurt or help my daughter get involved w/4H showing. (She will be 5 next year and is waaaaay into animals and what she calls "doing our farm work.")

So, what do you think? Any advice? Also, any recomendations on breeders in Missouri?

I vote:

Both!!!!
wink.png

Why decide, just get 2 of each!!!
wee.gif

It really just comes down to personal preference, which do you like better? They both make good pets, my own preference is Nigerian Dwarfs, I love the variety and all the great colors, but pygmies are nice to! You could always get one of each!

And then there is also always the option of getting a mini nubian, then you could get the small size and the floppy ears!

Nigerians are a dairy breed, so they would be the better milkers. I love my Nigerian, she is very cute and personable. I've never had pygmies, but have known people who've had them and they are just as fun. Get some of each, some really good fencing and have fun!

Since you're not planing on milking right away I think you should start with two pygmies, and if in the future yo udecide your ready and experienced enough for milkie, then go ahead and get one doe. That's what I'd do.
smile.png

I have 2 pygmy goats. Both are doe's. Had the male, got rid of him he was mean as h**l. The girls are just awesome. They love my kids. They were bought as pets and bottle raised. I would say Pygmy's!!

If you get a young buckling that already has friendly personality then billies can be very friendly. Our Billy is the friendlist one of all (pygmy) he points out with his horn where he wants to be petted. LOL C

I was thinking I'd start with a doe and a wether, but if whatever breeder I go with has two wethers w/great personalities that need a home I could easily change my mind.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom