plexi glass windows for winter

I use plexiglas panels in the windows of two coops, only during the winter and rainy seasons. In the A-Frame, with the slanted walls, the two windows have hardware cloth coverings on the OUTSIDE, larger than the windows, with the staples not covering one end, so I can slip the plexiglas under the hardware wire. The plexiglas is also larger than the window opening; the hardware wire holds it tightly to the coop sides, so there is very little seepage or leaking.

In the traditional coop, I just cut the plexigals panels to fit inside the window openings. The windows are under roof overhangs, so there's also very little leakage from rain.

54045_chicken_window_008.jpg

54045_chicken_window_009.jpg

We still need to add a couple more latches to the top. Works great.

Quote:
Great idea would like to see the rest of the coop too.
fl.gif
clap.gif

It's just an 8 x 10 Lowes Quick shed. It's a work in progress......isn't everybody's?
hu.gif
I'll see if I can get some pictures this evening. I'm babysitting my grandkids right now
big_smile.png

Quote:
Great idea would like to see the rest of the coop too.
fl.gif
clap.gif

It's just an 8 x 10 Lowes Quick shed. It's a work in progress......isn't everybody's?
hu.gif
I'll see if I can get some pictures this evening. I'm babysitting my grandkids right now
big_smile.png

Instead of changing the dynamics of this thread, I will make a new post with pictures of my coops.
wink.png

I renovated a 60+ year old coop that has a screen room. All the screen and wood needed replaced. Initially I was going to use plexiglass and velcro because that was something I could do on my own but my handyman suggested routing it out and then using window latches and it has worked very well. My idea wasn't that great but oh well that was all Iwould have been able to do on my own. The other windows I covered with plastic but in Kansas wind most of it didn't make it threw the winter

32511_023.jpg

what I started with

32511_1009280001.jpg

after replacing

32511_1009280008.jpg

from the inside

32511_1009280004.jpg

closer view of the window latch things

I didn't take the top layer of this year because I couldn't reach them on my own

Hope to get the single windows done for this winter

Last edited:
Quote:
thats exactly what we did. worked great and kept the cold air out... i did however, leave some space for air circulation.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom