Plucker

fresheggs4u

Songster
12 Years
Dec 6, 2007
I just purchase a small chicken plucker from an archery site. It a small disc with rubber fingers on a free standing motor. Does anyone use one similar? What do you think about them. Dumb questions considering I have already purchased it. But I can send it back. Does anyone know if they work like advertised. Thanks!

I don't think mine is quite like yours. Mine is on a cylinder with rubber fingers coming out of it. It has a small motor and has a small stand.

We purchased it at farm auction this summer for $50.00. No joke! I don't think anyone really knew what it was. Chickens are not a big thing around here. (that is why I sell my eggs so well)

I didn't think it would really work and thought my husband was crazy for buying it but for $50.00 I figured I wasn't out anything for trying it.

I have to say the thing works like a dream. I love it. I can completely pluck a chicken in about one minute. Pin feathers and all!

I have one that sounds similar to Bren's. All I can say is that if you pluck one by hand, then with the plucker, you'll have your answer.
smile.png

If yours is like one of these -- http://theplucker.biz/store.html -- I found via Google, I think you'll be happy. I might wonder a little about water getting into the motor, because it's so close to the action, but it looks like it will get the job done.

I gonna try it out next week. I hope it works as well as everyone says.

The instructions say to pluck the bird while dry. What do you think? How did you use the one that you bought.

Thanks!

Most hunters dry pluck and don't scald. The hunters that I know who have a cup type plucker like them much better then hand plucking.

Usually the difference between the dry vs scalded plucker is how hard the fingers are. But the one in the link Fredster post is also sold at some chicken site as a wet plucker. So I assume it can be used both ways.

You can also make one of those cup type pluckers. There is several threads discusing this on the forum.

We just processed our last 12 birds on Saturday. We scald the bird first and then put it on the plucker. Just like what you would do to hand pluck. We also cover the motor with an ice cream bucket and that keeps the water and feathers out of the motor.

We tried to hand pluck the first time and it took forever. After I got the plucker I would never do it another way. It is so fast and easy. LOVE IT!

We did get a wonderful deal. I am not a lucky person by any means so this was a treasure and probably the only good deal I will get for the next 10 years!

Back
Top Bottom